Magisk v21 is now available and it brings Android 11 support to the popular systemless root solution. Developer topjohnwu has pushed a new Magisk v21 Beta release that carries initial Android 11 support across various devices. Improving on the Canary build, this specific version is much improved and has, in theory, support for all Android 11 phones. If you have an Android 11 device, read ahead to download Magisk 21 to gain root as well as download Magisk Manager 8.0.0 for installing Magisk Modules.
With every new release, Android’s fundamental code is often reworked. This then results in third-party mods being rendered useless. To have the mods back up and working, developers have to account for the new changes and adapt accordingly. Fortunately enough, topjohnwu has been successful in doing so for Magisk and now users can enjoy root on Android 11 through new Magisk v21 Beta release.
Magisk v21 Beta Details and Changes
In addition to the major update that brings support for Android 11, there are various other tweaks and changes included in Magisk v21 hence users running older Android versions will also benefit from the release.
Related: Download Magisk (All Versions)
Here is the complete change-log as published by the developer.
- [General] Support Android 11
- [General] Add Safe Mode detection. Disable all modules when the device is booting into Safe Mode.
- [General] Increase post-fs-data mode timeout from 10 seconds to 40 seconds
- [MagiskInit] Rewritten 2SI support from scratch
- [MagiskInit] Support when no /sbin folder exists (Android 11)
- [MagiskInit] Dump fstab from device-tree to rootfs and force init to use it for 2SI devices
- [MagiskInit] Strip out AVB for 2SI as it may cause bootloop
- [Modules] Rewritten module mounting logic from scratch
- [MagiskSU] For Android 8.0+, a completely new policy setup is used. This reduces compromises in Android’s sandbox, providing more policy isolation and better security for root users.
- [MagiskSU] Isolated mount namespace will now first inherit from parent process, then isolate itself from the world
- [MagiskSU] Update communication protocol with Magisk Manager to work with the hardened SELinux setup
- [MagiskPolicy] Optimize match all rules. This will significantly reduce policy binary size and save memory and improve general kernel performance.
- [MagiskPolicy] Support declaring new types and attributes
- [MagiskPolicy] Make policy statement closer to stock *.te format. Please check updated documentation or magiskpolicy –help for more details.
- [MagiskBoot] Support compressed extra blobs
- [MagiskBoot] Pad boot images to original size with zeros
- [MagiskHide] Manipulate additional vendor properties
Download Magisk v21
Magisk is always released as a flashable ZIP file that can be installed using a custom recovery such as TWRP. Continuing this distribution method, Magisk v21 Beta is also available as a ZIP that can be downloaded and flashed immediately.
|Installation||Flash with Custom Recovery|
Magisk Manager 8.0.0
Alongside Magisk v21, Magisk Manager 8.0.0 has also been released. The release is focused around making the Manager compatible with new Magisk version as well as integrating additional functionality.
- Add detailed device info in home screen to assist user installation
- Support Magisk v21.0 communication protocol
- Support patching modern Samsung AP.tar
You can download Magisk Manager APK here: