Xiaomi has unveiled its next MIUI 12 skin that would soon be arriving on Android powered Mi and Redmi phones. Based on Android 10 — same foundation as older MIUI 11 — this new iteration brings numerous changes. The UI gets tweaked with new animations, better privacy, improved security and a list of new functionality will be arriving with MIUI 12. Ahead, we will be discussing all the new changes in detail along with reviewing MIUI 12 update schedule for various confirmed Redmi and Mi phones.
For all Xiaomi enthusiasts, MIUI plays a vital role in the complete Mi and Redmi experience. MIUI takes its roots from custom ROMs back in the day. It focuses on customization options and theme-ing while also providing a reliable software experience. Naming scheme for MIUI is a bit difficult to understand. Rather than simplifying the version name with the Android base it is using, Xiaomi follows its own versioning. Just as MIUI 11 is based on Android 9 and Android 10, the upcoming MIUI 12 will initially roll out with Android 10 and would hopefully go on to support Android 11 / R.
Xiaomi MIU 12: New Changes and Features
Here is the official run-down of all latest features being introduced in MIUI 12. This is the complete change-log as announced by Xiaomi. In addition to these changes, we are hoping for other code improvements that would enhance overall performance on all phones.
- All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
- Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
- You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy.
- Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
AI Call Assistant
- Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
- The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- Control center
- Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
Looking to download MIUI 11 Update for your phone? Read: Download MIUI 11 Stable Update for Xiaomi Devices
Xiaomi MIUI 12 Release Date and Update Schedule
Preliminary beta builds have been released for users in China today, April 27th. As for the stable roll-out schedule, Xiaomi has published a complete list that includes various devices which will be getting MIUI 12. The company promises stable update by end of June 2020.
Xiaomi has divided MIUI 12 roll-out into seperate batches. The first batch consists of latest devices such as the Mi 10 Pro, Redmi K30 Pro and more. Further, all of these phones will get stable version of the software by end of June 2020.
End of June 2020
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro
- Xiaomi Mi 10
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Youth Edition
- Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro
- Redmi K30 Pro
- Redmi K30 5G
- Redmi K30
- Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition
- Redmi K20 Pro
- Redmi K20
- Mi Mix 3
- Xiaomi Mi 8 series
- Redmi Note 8 Pro
- Redmi Note 7
- Redmi Note 7 Pro
- Mi Mix 2
- Redmi 8
- Redmi 8A
- Redmi 7
- Redmi 7A
- Mi CC9
- Mi CC9 Pro
- Mi CC9e
This was a detailed look at MIUI 12, release date, roll-out schedule and information on compatible devices. It is still early on to say that the devices listed would be the only ones getting the update so be sure to check back later once Xiaomi unveils more information.