Xiaomi Redmi 8 now has official TWRP support and here is how you can install it on your phone. With Xiaomi, the brand has a very large customer base and on top of that, lots of them are enthusiast developers / owners. This combination makes for great system mods and that quickly after release. Despite being just a few months old, Xiaomi Redmi 8 now has official TWRP custom recovery support. And since it has that, loads of mods can already be flashed and tested on the phone alongside root. If you have just purchased your Redmi 8 and want to modify it as well, you can read our Redmi 8 TWRP custom recovery installation guide right ahead.
Redmi 8 currently runs MIUI 11 based on Android Pie. Hopefully, further down the road, we see Android 10 released for the phone but till that happens, owners can still enjoy testing out Android 10 custom ROMs via TWRP custom recovery. Also, if you want to run root apps and root mods such Magisk Modules, you can also flash latest Magisk root package after you have successfully booted TWRP on Redmi 8. For our guide ahead, it includes all the steps required for installation along with a fast download link to latest official TWRP custom recovery package.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android 10: How to Install Android 10 on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Redmi 8 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Install Xiaomi Redmi 8 TWRP Custom Recovery
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Redmi 8.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Redmi 8 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-0-olive.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.