New OnePLus 7T Pro phone has been officially announced, if you are looking to unlock its bootloader, here is the perfect guide. Unlike the majority of smartphone manufacturers, OnePlus announces two new phone series each year. First, comes the main version bump and 6 months after that, a new T series device is launched that carries largely the same exterior but with upgraded internals. If you have purchased the upgraded OnePlus 7T Pro, here is how you can unlock bootloader on it in order to flash system files manually or other mods.
Comparing with the original OnePlus 7 Pro, differences only lie internally. New OnePlus 7T Pro now sports a faster processor, larger capacity of RAM and new 30T Warp Charge. There is also a McLaren edition available that carries a unique Carbon finish on the back and yellow accents. While the 7 Pro still remains to be a great buy, this upgraded device is the best that OnePlus currently offers.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus 7T Pro, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Android 10: How to Install Android 10 on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
OnePlus 7T Pro USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 7T Pro properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock OnePlus 7T Pro bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7T Pro
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 7T Pro. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on any previous OnePlus devices, then this should be very similar.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
Looking to unlock standard OnePlus 7 Pro?
- This unlocking bootloader tutorial is only for OnePlus 7T Pro. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial has been performed on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as it will erase all data.
- You will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader. (Some warranties might still apply but please consult your seller to make sure)
- OnePlus 7T Pro
- USB cable
- Android SDK with drivers (tutorial link given below)
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows or on Mac.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-windows-latest.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-darwin-latest.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-linux-latest.zip
Step 2 – Enable USB Debugging mode on your OnePlus 7T Pro.
Step 5 – If you already have Android SDK, then you can just download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Step 4 – Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the “Enable OEM unlock” is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings > Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock. Don’t see Developer settings? Read: How to Enable Developer Options.
Step 5 – Make sure you have backup your data as it will be erased. Connect your OnePlus 7T Pro to your PC.
Step 6 – Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 7 – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on OnePlus 7T Pro. How? Type the following command in ADB.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 8 – Now initiate the unlock by typing in the following command.
fastboot oem unlock
NOTE: Depending upon your device’s region, a screen might pop up with Chinese writing. The upper portion roughly translates to confirm and proceed while the bottom one translates to cancel. Touch on the upper part to continue.
Step 9 – Reboot and enjoy!
That’s it! Your OnePlus 7T Pro bootloader is now unlocked!
Backup and Other Important Tips
Please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
4. [IMPORTANT] Copy all the backup files from your SD card to your computer as internal memory will be wiped clean while unlocking the bootloader.
If you are a developer and would want to unlock the bootloader, we recommend doing that before you set up the Google Play Store, install apps or anything because the security feature in Android clears out everything from your phone when unlocking bootloader of a phone.
You can now install a custom recovery, a custom ROM or any system tweak you like. Just be careful with what you do! 😉