Got your hands on the new OnePlus phone? Here is how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 7T. Released as a follow up to standard OnePlus 7 and not the OnePlus 7 Pro, the new 7T offers exceptionally great hardware with an extremely competitive price. In some regions, the phone is already in stores while others will be getting it soon. Regardless of whether you have gotten your OnePlus 7T or are thinking of ordering it, this guide is a great look at how you can unlock bootloader of the new phone in order to manually update it, modify it with third-party mods or even root it — all after unlocking the bootloader.
OnePlus is an enthusiast brand. Further, it closely listens to customers feedback. Rather than locking down their devices, the brand allows users to easily unlock bootloaders of their phones. For security purposes, out of the factory, each OnePlus 7T is locked but through the steps listed ahead, it can easily be unlocked. If you buy your device from T-Mobile, it has a slightly different procedure than the global unlocked one and fortunately, we have listed both!
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus 7T, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Android 10: How to Install Android 10 on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
OnePlus 7T USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 7T properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock OnePlus 7T bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7T
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 7T. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on any previous OnePlus devices, then this should be very similar.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This unlocking bootloader tutorial is only for OnePlus 7T. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial has been performed on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as it will erase all data.
- You will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader. (Some warranties might still apply but please consult your seller to make sure)
- OnePlus 7T
- USB cable
- Android SDK with drivers (tutorial link given below)
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows or on Mac.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-windows-latest.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-darwin-latest.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-linux-latest.zip
Step 2 – Enable USB Debugging mode on your OnePlus 7T.
Step 5 – If you already have Android SDK, then you can just download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Step 4 – Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the “Enable OEM unlock” is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings > Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock. Don’t see Developer settings? Read: How to Enable Developer Options.
Step 5 – Make sure you have backup your data as it will be erased. Connect your OnePlus 7T to your PC.
Step 6 – Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
From here there is a difference on further steps for each variant, follow the ones for your specific model.
Instructions for Standard OnePlus 7T (Non – T-Mobile)
Step 7 – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on OnePlus 7T. How? Type the following command in ADB.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 8 – Now initiate the unlock by typing in the following command.
fastboot oem unlock
NOTE: Depending upon your device’s region, a screen might pop up with Chinese writing. The upper portion roughly translates to confirm and proceed while the bottom one translates to cancel. Touch on the upper part to continue.
Step 9 – Reboot and enjoy!
Instructions for T-Mobile OnePlus 7T
Step 7 – Go to your smartphone’s dialer app and type *#06#. This will give you the IMEI number, note it down.
Step 8 – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on OnePlus 7T. How? Type the following command in ADB.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 9 – Get the unlock code for your phone by typing the following command in prompt. Copy the unique code in notepad.
fastboot oem get_unlock_code
Step 10 – Go to this OnePlus 7T support link and fill out the form with all the information.
Step 11 – You can reboot your phone by pressing power button continuously for 15 seconds.
Step 12 – Once you receive your unlock token — should take 1 to 2 weeks — transfer the file to the same location as your ADB and then open command prompt there.
Step 13 – Reboot to bootloader by using this command:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 14 – First flash the file (unlock_token.bin) you downloaded by using this command:
fastboot flash cust-unlock unlock_token.bin
Step 15 – Now proceed to unlock:
fastboot oem unlock
Step 16 – Reboot!
That’s it! Your OnePlus 7T bootloader is now unlocked!
Backup and Other Important Tips
Please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
4. [IMPORTANT] Copy all the backup files from your SD card to your computer as internal memory will be wiped clean while unlocking the bootloader.
If you are a developer and would want to unlock the bootloader, we recommend doing that before you set up the Google Play Store, install apps or anything because the security feature in Android clears out everything from your phone when unlocking bootloader of a phone.
You can now install a custom recovery, a custom ROM or any system tweak you like. Just be careful with what you do! 😉