We have listed ahead all the steps to install official TWRP custom recovery on your OnePlus 7 Pro phone. Being an enthusiast device, developers have been quick to port TWRP over. Basically, with TeamWin’s custom recovery, users can flash mods such as root and custom ROMs on their phones. Further, as this is a stable build, you should expect all the usual functionality as found on any other phone. As always with system modifications, before you begin, make sure to have an unlocked bootloader and all your data backed up. If you haven’t unlocked bootloader yet, read: How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7 Pro.
OnePlus 7 Pro comes with the latest SoC and a great bezel-less display. In combination, this package is quite well equipped and is definitely a perfect device for power users and enthusiasts. Generally, first thing most users do after they get a phone is to root it. And for rooting, TWRP is required as a prerequisite. Ahead steps will help you install official TWRP on your OnePlus 7 Pro. As we previously mentioned, make sure to first backup all your data.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock OnePlus 7 Pro Bootloader.
- Install Android Q Pie: How to Install Android Q on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus 7 Pro custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 7 Pro:
TWRP custom recovery is developed by TeamWin. As Android, it is an open source utility, open to all developers. The benefits you reap once you install this over the stock recovery are loads. For starters, a custom recovery allows you to flash third-party ZIP files which is impossible through stock configuration. Also, one of our favorite functions of TWRP include complete system backup and restore functionality.
For a more detailed overview, here some key features users utilize TWRP custom recovery for:
- Gaining root
- Creating system backups
- Factory reset
- Wiping system partitions
- Installing custom ROMs / ZIP files
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below (and on the next page) and update OnePlus 7 Pro with TWRP Recovery.
Tutorial: How to Install OnePlus 7 Pro TWRP Recovery
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 7 Pro. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Nexus / Google Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked OnePlus 7 Pro. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7 Pro.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up by downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-windows-latest.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-darwin-latest.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-linux-latest.zip
Step 2 – Download TWRP Installer ZIP package and transfer it to the root directory of your phone.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-3-guacamole.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Connect your OnePlus 7 Pro to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 5 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.
Step 6 – Type in the following command and press Enter
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-3-guacamole.img
Step 7 – Once in TWRP, change partition slot using TWRP. You should do this by tapping Reboot and then choosing the other Boot Slot than the one you are currently in. (If in A go to B and if in B go to A)
NOTE: For Step 8, it is necessary to flash Magisk (root) as well otherwise your phone would not boot. If you don’t plan on rooting, you can boot TWRP again using previous steps and each time you reboot, your device will return to stock.
Step 8 – After rebooting, use Install from TWRP and then navigate to the installer ZIP file you transferred in Step 2. Confirm install.
That’s it! You should now be in the TWRP Recovery running on your OnePlus 7 Pro from where you can choose whatever function you want to perform.
Backup and Other Important Tips
Please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat. 2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right? 3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. 4. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 7 Pro.
NEXT: How to Root OnePlus 7 Pro on Android 9.0 Pie.
Have fun playing with it! Facing any problems? Let us know through the comments section and we would help out as quickly as we can!