Samsung is now pushing Android 9.0 Pie firmware update for its entry level Galaxy J6 and Galaxy J8 phones. And with this guide, you can learn how to instantly install it without waiting for OTA to arrive for your specific region. Latest software update comes packed with major changes that span from UI, to actual performance! Not only do users benefit from Samsung’s new One UI skin but their phones will perform much better with Android Pie thanks to optimizations. Further, it is good to see Samsung focusing on entry level phones and keeping them up to date alongside flagships. As for our process ahead, it will explain how to manually install Android 9.0 Pie official firmware on both Samsung Galaxy J6 and Galaxy J8.
The extensive skin overlay which Samsung puts on top of Android is the main reason why software updates get released quite later than other competing phones. Further, this time round, Samsung has redesigned its skin to better fit with Material Design guidelines and also, it now allows users to better navigate their large screen devices with one hand. Being such a major upgrade, it is always a good idea to create a backup of all your apps and data before you proceed towards the install process. Ahead given tutorial will explain exactly how to use Odin to flash Android 9.0 Pie official firmware on Galaxy J6 and Galaxy J8. Make sure to read it once completely before implementing it.
Disclaimer: Please use this guide at your own risk. We, at TeamAndroid, would not be held responsible if you brick or generally mess up with your device. Further, the firmwares, system files or apps used are property of their respective owners.
Android 9.0 Pie Firmware Details:
As highlighted earlier, new firmware for this month not only brings in a major upgrade — Android 9.0 Pie — but also carries new security definitions. Users updating from previous official firmware would immediately notice UI tweaks, observe performance enhancements and better battery life.
This firmware tutorial for both Samsung Galaxy J6 / Galaxy J8. The specific model numbers supported through this guide are mentioned ahead.
- Samsung Galaxy J6 J600F
- Samsung Galaxy J8 J810F
To make sure you own the correct Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8 model / variant, go to Settings > About phone > Model number.
You might find these following Galaxy J6 / J8 related articles interesting:
- USB Drivers: Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8 Drivers and How to Connect with Computer.
- Recovery Mode: How to Access Recovery Mode on the Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy J6 / Galaxy J8 custom ROMs, click here!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Galaxy J6 / J8, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy J6 or Galaxy J8 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and update Galaxy J6 / Galaxy J8 to Android 9.0 Pie official firmware update.
How to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Galaxy J6 / Galaxy J8
Ahead, we have a detailed step-by-step procedure through which you can update Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8 to Android 9.0 Pie build. The firmware is an official one signed by Samsung and we will utilize latest ODIN to flash it onto Galaxy J6 or Galaxy J8.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing on your device.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy J6 / Galaxy J8. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Firmwares used in this post are official releases by Samsung for the Galaxy J6 / J8.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 9.0 Pie update from the following links for your specific Galaxy J6 / J8 model to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Download Odin which will help you to install stable Android 9.0 Pie update on Samsung Galaxy J6 / J8.
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode. Read: How to Enter Download Mode on Galaxy J6 / J8.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy J6 / J8 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Now select the files that you have to flash/install on your phone. These files are to be found from the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on ‘AP’ and select file with ‘AP’ in its name.
- Click on ‘CP’ and select file with ‘MODEM’ in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on ‘CSC’ and select file with ‘CSC’ in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on ‘PIT’ and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on ‘BL’ and select file with ‘BL’ in it’s name. Ignore if there is no such file.
If you are using an older version of ODIN or flashing a firmware which doesn’t have the above mentioned file name format then look below for the abbreviations to the old name format. Do note that only file name changes, the functionality and back end process remains the same so don’t worry.
- AP = PDA
- BL = Boot Loader
- CP = Modem
Step 8 – In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you selected a .PIT file in the above step.
Step 9 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 – After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy J6 or Galaxy J8 has now been updated to Android 9.0 Pie firmware update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
Backup and Other Important Tips
Please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung Smart Switch to your computer. Smart Switch helps to move data across different Android devices i.e moving Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge backup data to Samsung Galaxy J6.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo. 2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right? 3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.