These steps explain exactly how to install TWRP 3.2.3 custom recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2. The Mi lineup consists of some amazing value-focused smartphones such as the Mi A2. Being widely popular among users and developers, TeamWin has finally brought official TWRP custom recovery support to it and you can have it running on yours with this guide. For installation, you would need to have an unlocked bootloader, fastboot / ADB configured on your computer and the complete recovery package for Xiaomi Mi A2 downloaded — which has been linked ahead as well.
Firstly, being an official release directly from TeamWin, this version of TWRP custom recovery is quite reliable and carries complete features. Whether you want to root your Mi A2 with Magisk or you are looking to install a custom ROM, TWRP custom recovery is required in either cases. Further, even if you don’t intend to install any mods, TWRP has a plethora of features such as backup and wiping options which can be used on their own. Now, before we begin with our complete procedure, do make sure you have a recent backup made of your data. The guide ahead works with Xiaomi Mi A2, make sure you verify you have the correct device before you begin.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android 9.0 Pie: How to Install Android Pie on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Mi A2 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
HOW TO: Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Mi A2.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Mi A2 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.2.3-0-jasmine_sprout.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.