Enjoy the look of Google Pixel on your Xpera Z5 with Nougat 7.1.2. It has tons of new features. This ROM is very light and saces more battery life. If interested in 7.1.2 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. You can update Sony Xperia Z5 to 7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat custom firmware using the tutorial below. Not necessary, but it would be better if your phone is rooted and has a custom recovery installed. A custom recovery will be needed to install 7.1.2 based AOSP Extended ROM zip file, since this is not an official Sony firmware update.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install 7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat ROM on Sony Xperia Z5 with complete steps using TWRP recovery. We also have several tips on how to backup your phone data and also some more tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. You will have to wipe your previous personal data and apps as usual when installing custom ROMs. Let’s begin with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat ROM Details:
This amazing AOSP Extended custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on 7.1.2 Nougat. A quick list of the main features in AOSP Extended is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Xperia Z5:
- Pixel look and feel.
- OMS-rootless (theme engine) Supported. Install Substratum from Play Store.
- Google Assistant
- Built in spoofing for MicroG
- LineageOS 14.1 – all mods and features
- StatusBar: Network Traffic
- StatusBar: SU icon toggle
- StatusBar: Ticker
- StatusBar: Hide/Show icons
- StatusBar: Hide/Show data activity arrows
- StatusBar: BatteryBar customizations
- StatusBar: Date customizations
- StatusBar: Battery styles
- StatusBar: Tap to Sleep
- StatusBar: Clock styles
- StatusBar: Custom logo customizations
- QuickSettings: QS Header image customizations
- QuickSettings: Weather tile integration and customizations
- QuickSettings: Tiles customization
- QuickSettings: Brightness slider toggle
- QuickSettings: Optional brightness icon
- QuickSettings: Vibrate on Touch
- QuickSettings: WiFi easy toggle
- QuickSettings: Bluetooth easy toggle
- QuickSettings: Data easy toggle
- QuickSettings: Location easy toggle
- Navigation: Toggle navbar
- Navigation: PIE navigation
- Navigation: DUI – SmartBar / Fling Toggle, animations and customizations (+ One Hand mode)
- Navigation: Dynamic Nav Bar Color
- Navigation: Pulse – smart visualization
- Notifications: Power notification controls
- Notifications: Force expanded notifications
- Notifications: Toggle immersive mode messages
- Notifications: Breathing notifications
- Notifications: Headsup Snooze
- Notifications: Headsup Timeout customization
- Display: Ambient Display customizations
- Display: Transparency Customizations
- Display: Blur Personalizations
- Display: Expanded Desktop Customizations
- Display: Scroll Animation Customizations
- LockScreen: Screen shortcuts
- LockScreen: Toggle longpress for screen shortcuts
- LockScreen: Swipe shortcuts
- LockScreen: Toggle media cover art
- LockScreen: Toggle clock
- LockScreen: Toggle date
- LockScreen: Toggle alarm
- LockScreen: Toggle status bar
- LockScreen: Tap to sleep
- LockScreen: Toggle longpress torch
- LockScreen: Cutomize number of notifications
- LockScreen: Toggle power menu for secure lockscreen
- LockScreen: Toggle quick settings access and hide swipe shortcuts for secure lockscreen
- Powermenu: On-the-go mode – camera overlay.
- Recents: Immersive Recents
- Recents: Hidden apps
- Recents: Toggle OmniSwitch as default Recent view
- Recents: Toggle Slim Recents as default Recent view
- Sound: Charging Sounds customization
- Sound: Toggle screenshot sound
- Sound: Live customization for number of volume steps
- Sound: Less frequent notification sounds
- Sound: DND customizations
- Animations Customization for Toast, System, etc.
- Miscellaneous: Clock Widget
- Miscellaneous: Wakelock Blocker (experimental)
- Miscellaneous: Partial / Full screenshot selection option
- Miscellaneous: Toggle suggestions on Settings dashboard
- Miscellaneous: Toggle summaries in Settings
- Miscellaneous: Toggle auto-start music player on headset detection
- Miscellaneous: Show CPU info overlay
- Miscellaneous: Disable Force Close notifications
- Settings/Sound: Increasing Ringtone
- 15 New Quick Settings Tiles including Caffeine mode, Expanded Desktop and Sync.
- Settings/Security: Quick PIN/Password Unlock
- Stability and performance improvements.
- ART Optimizations
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Sony Xperia Z5, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install TWRP: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia Z5.
- Try Nougat: How to Try and Install Android 7.1.2 Nougat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Xperia Z5 custom ROMs, click here!
Like this AOSP Extended ROM based on the latest 7.1.2? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Sony Xperia Z5, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Sony Xperia Z5 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Sony Xperia Z5 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Sony Xperia Z5 to 7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat custom firmware.
NOTE: There is a helpful tips section at the bottom of this guide to help you backup your entire phone as all your data will be wiped clean during the installation of this ROM. We want to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Tutorial: How to Install 7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat on Sony Xperia Z5
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install 7.1.2 AOSP Extended Nougat custom firmware on Xperia Z5. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Xperia Z5, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing 7.1.2 AOSP Extended ROM on Sony Xperia Z5. Please do not try on any other Xperia Z5 variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed in order to install this AOSP Extended ROM on your phone.
- We will be using TWRP Recovery for this tutorial. Tutorial: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia Z5.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Sony PC Companion will NOT detect your phone after installing this ROM because it is a custom firmware.
- Bootloader should be unlocked or you will not be able to install this ROM.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
NOTE: Make sure ADB and Fastboot is configured on your PC. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 1 – Download AOSP Extended 7.1.2 ROM for Sony Xperia Z5 to your computer and extract boot.img from the zip file separately.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Sony Xperia Z5 USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded 7.1.2 ROM zip file to your phone memory / SD card. Make sure the file is in the phone memory / SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Copy/paste the boot.img file to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
Step 5 – Then turn OFF your phone.
Step 6 – Now to get into the Bootloader Mode. Press and hold the Volume Up button while connecting it again with the USB cable. Your phone LED will turn blue and it will get into the Bootloader Mode.
Step 7 – Once in the Fastboot mode (on your phone), navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory (on your computer) and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 8 – Type the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 9 – Then, type the following command and press Enter.
Step 10 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing the Volume Up or Volume Down buttons a few times when you see the LED light turn pink or any other colour. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.