This is a complete tutorial on how to install Xiaomi Mi 8 TWRP recovery. In this guide, we will install the latest available TWRP 3.2.1 recovery on the new Xiaomi flagship phone. Generally, for Mi flagships, we see developers rush to pump out third-party utilities and this time, it is no different. With the steps ahead you can easily have latest TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery installed and running on your Xiaomi Mi 8 smartphone. Once implemented, this custom recovery would allow you access to further mods such as root, ROMs and more. Also, through TWRP 3.2.1, you can use it to create system backups which can be easily restored afterwards. Right below, you will find all steps along with fast download links to TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery for Xiaomi Mi 8.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 features exceptional hardware and a great glass design. Out of the box, it comes equipped with Android 8.0 Oreo running MIUI. If you want to change any of the software functionality or outlook — outside of what MIUI offers — do install TWRP custom recovery. Not only does this utility act as a foundation for further mods, it provides number of useful features on its own. After you have TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery running on Xiaomi Mi 8, you can proceed to root your smartphone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android P: How to Install Android P on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Mi 8 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
HOW TO: Install Xiaomi Mi 8 TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Mi 8.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Mi 8 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (TWRP-3.2.1-0611-XIAOMI8.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.