Here is a step by step guide on how you can unlock bootloader on OnePlus 6. The new smartphone from OnePlus comes with upgraded hardware, rethought design and a notch style display. The device is all set to start shipping to customers quite soon and once you get your OnePlus 6, this is the perfect guide to start modifying your new phone with. Ahead, we have included complete details for unlocking the bootloader which will then allow you to write to system partitions — generally speaking, allowing you to flash both official and custom firmwares on your OnePlus 6.
The procedure ahead will use Fastboot Mode to unlock the built-in bootloader on the OnePlus 6. For security reasons, most manufacturers ship their smartphones with a locked bootloader. However, for catering enthusiasts, they also include an official method to unlock it if the need be for the customer. With the guide ahead, we will show you how to unlock it with the official process. Also, it is to be noted that once you unlock bootloader, your OnePlus 6 will undergo a factory reset and all user data will be deleted so make sure to have a recent backup.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus 6, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Root OnePlus 6: How to Root OnePlus 6 on Android 8.1 Oreo.
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update OnePlus 6 with TWRP Recovery.
- Install Android P: How to Install Android P on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
OnePlus 6 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 6 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock OnePlus 6 bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 6. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on any previous Nexus devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This unlocking bootloader tutorial is only for OnePlus 6. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial has been performed on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well. [Read: Download OnePlus 6 USB Drivers]
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as it will erase all data.
- You will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader.
- OnePlus 6
- USB cable
- Android SDK with drivers (tutorial link given below)
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows or on Mac.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Enable USB Debugging mode on your OnePlus 6.
Step 5 – If you already have Android SDK, then you can just download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Step 4 – Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the “Enable OEM unlock” is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings > Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock.
Step 5 – Make sure you have backup your data as it will be erased. Connect your OnePlus 6 to your PC.
Step 6 – Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 7 – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on OnePlus 6. How? Type the following command in ADB.
adb reboot bootloader