Here are detailed instructions on how to unlock bootloader on Huawei Y7 Prime 2018. The new Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 places itself quite well in the brand’s entry level smartphone lineup. However, as it is an Android phone, most enthusiasts would be looking to run their favorite mods and packages. For all sorts of system modifications, the premise remains to be an unlocked bootloader. Fortunately, the process to do so is quite simple and we have the complete guide listed right ahead. Once unlocked, you would be able to modify the system partitions and install mods such as TWRP custom recovery which then can lead you to install root. The bootloader terminology might seem a little technical and complicated which it is not. Further, we have broken down all the steps required to unlock bootloader on Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 into smaller and easier to implement parts.
As per standard, the Y7 Prime 2018 comes with a locked bootloader from the factory. Instead of completely locking it down, Huawei gives its consumers a chance to unlock it. The unlock process is supported officially but once the bootloader is unlocked, chances are the warranty would be void. For many users, losing warranty is no issue compared to what can be gained especially with further mods such as root. As always, we recommend you create a recent backup of your data before you actually start implementing our guide. We even have a dedicated guide on few important backup tips that surely will show you some clever techniques in creating backups of your phone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install P: How to Try and Install Android P on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
If you are a developer and would want to unlock the bootloader, we recommend doing that before you set up the Google Play Store, install apps or anything because the security feature in Android clears out everything from your phone when unlocking bootloader of the phone.
Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Y7 Prime 2018
Here is the complete and easy guide to unlock the bootloader on Huawei Y7 Prime 2018. This is very similar to how you unlock bootloader on other Huawei devices. Please read the entire tutorial and all the steps once before you actually perform it on your Huawei Y7 Prime 2018.
- Make sure the Fastboot, ADB and USB Drivers are installed on your PC. You can install them on your PC by following this guide if they are not already installed.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked. [How to Enable USB Debugging]
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’.
- Backup all the data as unlocking the bootloader will delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
- Note down the IMEI number and serial number in Settings > About > Status.
- You can also find these numbers on the box of your phone.
- Dial *#*#1357946#*#* on your phone and note down the product ID.
Get Unlock Code from Huawei Website
Step-1: Go to Huawei’s unlock website and sign up for an account. Login if you already have an account.
Step-2: Go to Downloads and select Unlock Bootloader.
Step-3: You’ll see a form. Fill the form with all the information you wrote down in the above section.
Step-4: Click on “Commit” after filling out all the information.
Step-5: You’ll see an unlock code immediately. Note down the unlock code.
Unlock Bootloader Using ADB and Fastboot
Step-6: Now connect your device to your PC. Make sure the developer options and OEM are enabled.
Step-7: Open the command prompt and enter the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
Step-8: Your phone will reboot and enter into bootloader mode.
Step-9: Now enter the following command to finally unlock the bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
Step-10: Enter the unlock code you got from Huawei at the place of [unlock code].
Congratulations, the bootloader of your device is now unlocked. Your device will now reset and all data will be removed.
Backup and Other Important Tips
Please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone / phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and phones. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
4. [IMPORTANT] Copy all the backup files from your SD card to your computer as internal memory will be wiped clean while unlocking the bootloader.
You may also like to check out our Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 section for official firmware updates, custom ROMs, tips and other tutorials.