Huawei, in a closed event held in Lahore on May 12th, launched its latest high-end flagship smartphone the P20 Pro. The brand took to an Art Gallery to have its announcement keynote. The venue was quite setting as Huawei had put up pictures taken directly from the P20 Pro as well as the P20 Lite in art frames across the gallery. As with the P20 Pro’s official tagline See Mooore, the brand wanted to shift focus of every attendee to the smartphone’s exceptional camera capabilities. Huawei is, for the first time ever, shipping a Tri-lens camera on the P20 Pro. The main sensor is rated at a whopping 40MP with f/1.8 aperture, the secondary is at an even wider aperture f/1.6 but only 20MP and lastly, there is a tertiary telephoto 8MP module with f/2.4.
Further, Huawei has introduced a new exquisite paint job on the P20 Pro by the name of Twilight. This color scheme is an extreme gloss finish which includes a color gradient between blue and purple. Straight off, this finish is quite eye catching and is only available for the P20 Pro. There are 3 standard colors available as well but if you are buying the P20 Pro, Twilight color is the one to get. Under the hood, P20 Pro is equipped with Kirin 970, Huawei’s most high-end mobile processor.
Tracking back to the camera, P20 Pro has shown immense quality in this department. The hardware itself is quite astonishing but what makes it even better, is the AI — Artificial Intelligence — processing that the phone is doing. Rather than sticking with AI to provide a digital bokeh, P20 Pro uses it to identify the scene in front of it and sets all settings accordingly so you just have to point and shoot. For attendees, in addition to the pictures set up, there was a demonstration kiosk for each different mode. I, personally, appreciated the low-light section where users were given quite a low-light situation and a P20 Pro to test its capabilities for themselves. You can see some of the capabilities of the new P20 Pro in the detailed event gallery attached ahead.
Here is the complete Press Release for the Huawei P20 Pro launch:
Huawei Ushers a New Era of Smartphone Photography with HUAWEI P20 Pro
With the world’s first-ever 40-megapixel triple camera setup co-engineered with Leica, people are in for a spectacular photography treat!
Lahore – 12 May, 2018: HUAWEI P20 Pro – the world’s first triple camera smartphone was showcased at an exquisite photography exhibition at the Ejaz Art Gallery in Lahore. The event brought forth works of Huawei’s Experience Ambassadors – who used the devices to encapsulate Pakistan’s rich beauty. The HUAWEI P20 Pro fuses art with self-learning AI technology to offer an unparalleled photography experience. The camera has achieved DxOMark’s utmost overall score 109 – which is the highest-ever by a smartphone!
Speaking to the guests, Blueking Wang, Manager, Huawei Consumer Business Group said: “We look for inspiration from artists to continuously evolve our approach to design and innovation. The HUAWEI P20 Pro builds on the legacy of our collaboration with Leica. With a breakthrough triple camera, and powerful artificial intelligence, today’s most vibrant consumers can capture and share the brilliance of the world around them with ease.”
Key features of the HUAWEI P20 Pro include:
- An advanced camera system to capture more light, more details and more beauty, featuring a revolutionary Leica triple camera and 5x Hybrid Zoom.
- Innovative photography features, including Master AI with AI-driven professional photography.
- Eliminates shaky shots with HUAWEI AIS (AI Image Stabilization). This technology enables steady handheld night shots for incredible long exposure (04-06 seconds) images without a tripod.
- A timeless design with barely-there bezels and all-new gradient colors of Twilight, Midnight Blue and Black, which people will fall in love with.
- Ultimate performance, featuring the NPU on Kirin 970 and EMUI 8.1 based on Android™ 8.1 for a premium and smooth user experience.
An Exquisite Combination of Art and Technology for the Fashion Forward
The HUAWEI P20 Pro features a striking, fashion-forward aesthetic. Most notably it comes in all-new, exclusive, fashionable color, Twilight, achieved by applying several layers of NCVM* optical coatings underneath the glass back, so light hitting the surface refracts and creates a vivid, yet gradual change of hue.
The 6.1-inch screen on HUAWEI P20 Pro features ultra-thin bezels and impressive screen-to-body ratio for better viewing experiences with more on-screen information, whether reading or gaming. The HUAWEI FullView Display seamlessly blends with rounded edges, making the device comfortable to hold.
Inspired by Light and Technology, a Stunning Device Designed for Every Photography Fan
The HUAWEI P20 Pro reflects the art of light, with camera features that enhance the smartphone photography experience. Featuring a Leica triple camera with the highest total pixel count on a smartphone available in the market – the camera configuration is comprised of a 40MP RGB sensor, a 20MP monochrome sensor and an 8MP sensor with telephoto lens.
It also features a color temperature sensor for better color reproduction. With f/1.8, f/1.6 and f/2.4 wide aperture to capture crisp, clear details, the HUAWEI P20 Pro also includes a brand new Leica 3x telephoto (VARIO-SUMMILUX-H 1:1.6-2.4/27-80ASPH) lens for long-range photography of up to 5x Hybrid Zoom. The HUAWEI P20 Pro’s highly sensit ive image sensor captures low light photos with up to ISO 102400.
The device also supports six-axis stabilization and 960fps super slow motion, which is 4x higher than the standard 240fps and captures details that cannot be seen with the naked eye. With Ultra Snapshot mode, it can capture an image in as little as 0.3 seconds by just double clicking the down volume button, even from an off screen.
Master AI Photography Experience for Everyone, Everywhere
With the Kirin 970 processor, the HUAWEI P20 Pro automatically identifies more than 500 scenarios in 19 categories and selects photography modes and camera settings to deliver incredible, professional-looking images – even for novice photographers. In addition, HUAWEI AIS steadies handheld night shots for incredible long exposure images without a tripod. Brand new to Huawei’s advanced camera system is 4D predictive focus. In this mode, the camera predicts moving objects and focuses on them with extreme efficiency to capture minute details of objects in motion.
The HUAWEI P20 Pro features a 24MP selfie camera** with AI beautification and 3D portrait lighting – the result is beautiful selfies with healthy-looking skin tone adjustments, delicately outlined facial details and realistic 3D feature enhancements.
The device also features a 4,000 mAh battery and costs PKR 99,999/-.
Huawei Experience Ambassadors
The event featured spectacular works of Huawei’s Experience Ambassadors who used the HUAWEI P20 Pro and HUAWEI P20 lite to take stunning images of the world around them. Among them were:
- Marvi Soomro, a story teller at heart whose work showcased simple things such as light as it falls on a wall, shadows, lines, symmetry and faces – for all of these preserve not only a moment in-time but also a feeling. Her work was captured using a HUAWEI P20 Pro.
- Fahad Mahmood finds photography as a constant source of inspiration for his expeditions, and his quest to learn. He’s always been a livewire, communicating, evolving dialogues, exploring and absorbing nature; its expressions and reflections. Being an expressive soul, he knows for a fact that ‘a picture is a million words!’ and hence a fancied platform to express, absorb, incubate and reflect more! Armed with a HUAWEI P20 Pro, he captured those million expressions in and around the vales of Skardu!
- Mavikh Azam caught our eye for his sheer brilliance in smartphone photography. Being an engineering student and a photographer by hobby, he uses his cell phone to capture the world around him. During the last two years, he has encapsulated the rustic culture of the North and the warmth of its people through his sojourns. He has a keen eye for landscape and nature. Mavikh’s work exhibited Minimalism and Religion caught through the dual lenses of HUAWEI P20 lite.
- Hasan Zahid is a doctor by profession and a photographer by passion. He feels that all of us are storytellers who use more than one way to tell a story. Writers use pen and paper, painters use paint, while he uses pictures. He captured people and places of Lahore – giving his upclose view through the lens of HUAWEI P20 lite.