Samsung has finally released official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware for its current flagship, the Galaxy S8 and you can update to it with the guide ahead. Right now, the update roll-out has only hit a few countries but thanks to few keen enthusiasts, we have the complete download link for the OTA(Over-the-air) update package which can be manually flashed. This means, you can update your Galaxy S8 to official Android 8.0 Oreo without waiting for it to arrive through the built-in update system. The update we will be showing you how to install on your device is official and signed by Samsung which means implementing the tutorial below wont break any sort of warranty agreement. Continue reading to find the complete procedure on how to install Android 8.0 Oreo on your Galaxy S8 G950F.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you how to just released official Android 8.0 Oreo build on Galaxy S8 G950F using ODIN and ADB sideload. We have also given some tips on how to backup your phone data and have given some other important tips. Don’t forget to backup all your apps and personal data as a precaution. Major revamps like these usually have a wipe script with them, meaning, after you finish the update process, your phone will be completely wiped. Now in order to avoid any problems we recommend backing up your data which might include documents, contacts, or even downloads. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Official Android 8.0 Oreo Firmware Details:
The new Android 8.0 firmware charters in a whole host of changes and new features. Firstly, the overall look and feel has been updated and refined thanks to a newer TouchWiz revision. Also, OMS support has been integrated into the system which means native Substratum theme engine support. Further, this build arrives with February 2018 Security Patch.
This firmware tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S8 is for a specific model number and will not work if your phone is a different variant. Official Android 8.0 Oreo OTA for Galaxy S8:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 G950F
To make sure you own the correct Samsung Galaxy S8 model / variant, please see: Samsung Galaxy S8 Model Numbers / Country Variants Guide.
You might find these following Galaxy S8 G950F related articles interesting:
- Install TWRP: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8.
- USB Drivers: Samsung Galaxy S8 Drivers and How to Connect with Computer.
- Recovery Mode: How to Access Recovery Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S8.
- Install Android Oreo: How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy S8 custom ROMs, click here!
If you plan on rooting the Galaxy S8 G950F, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Samsung Galaxy S8 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S8 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung Smart Switch to your computer. Smart Switch helps to move data across different Android devices i.e moving Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge backup data to Samsung Galaxy S8.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and update Galaxy S8 to Android 8.0 Oreo official firmware update.
How to Install Official Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S8 G950F
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S8 to Android 8.0 Oreo. This process uses ADB sideload to push the update zip package to the phone.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing on your device.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S8 G950F. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- The OTA package has been obtained directly from Samsung’s servers.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Rooting Warning: This is an official Android 8.0 build update for Galaxy S8 G950F, which means you will lose root as soon as you install this update. You will again have to root Galaxy S8 to gain full system access and be able to install root apps again. See here: How to Root Galaxy S8 G950F on Android 8.0 Oreo Official Firmware.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download the following firmware files on your PC.
Step 2 – Please make sure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 2 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 3 – Download Odin which will help you to install Android 7.0 on Samsung Galaxy S8 G950F.
Step 4 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode. Read: How to Enter Download Mode on Galaxy S8.
Step 5 – Make sure you have your Galaxy S8 USB drivers installed on your computer.