The guide ahead will show you how to properly install Substratum Theme Engine on Android 8.0 Oreo smartphones and tablets. Customization is the big reason why Android smartphone users brag about, against other mobile platforms such as iOS. Android ecosystem allows users to modify the user experience according to their wishes. But unfortunately, Android has a certain limitation and without proper technical knowledge it is difficult to customize it. Companies like Samsung, Sony or Huawei already include a theme engine which allows you to modify the user interface on your device to some extent. Read ahead to find out how to use Substratum theme engine on Android 8.0 Oreo.
Stock Android users still face a lot of limitations to modify the OS interface. Luckily, there is good news for users running latest version of Android OS. Those running Android 8.0 Oreo can now use free theme engine Substratum on their devices from Google Play Store. Substratum is a unified theme engine which allows you to customize the look and feel of your device.
Substratum Theme Engine – Details:
This guide will be dedicated towards showing you how to set up Substratum on Android Oreo. Currently, the Substratum app itself is free and works on rooted Android Oreo devices but if you don’t have root then you may need to download an add-on for the app called Andromeda. Andromeda costs around 1.99$ for a limited time and can be downloaded from the Play Store as well. But Samsung Galaxy users may not find in the Play Store as Andromeda is not supported for Samsung Phone instead you guys need to download Sungstratum, which again, is a 1.99$ app.
Now to install Substratum and Andromeda properly on your device you need to follow the guide ahead. Unfortunately, downloading these apps from the Play Store on un-rooted device is not enough you have to run the follow batch file as well.
How to install Substratum on your Android Phone:
- Device should be on Android Oreo
- The procedure below is for devices without root.
- USB Debugging should be set from the Developer Settings. How? –> How to Enable USB Debugging on Android Phones.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download the correct Andromeda Script for your computer.
Step 3 – Load up the Andromeda Desktop Client (Mac OS) / Script (Linux and Windows). Based on your computer OS follow the steps explained below. Also keep in mind you need to follow the steps again on your device if you reboot it. Rebooting your device will cause the Andromeda service to get killed and may stop Substratum from working.
- Step 4a – Windows: Extract the ZIP and double click on the only batch file inside the zip. Ensure only ONE device is connected and press any key to continue. You will now see the script run in a Command Prompt window and it will launch Substratum.
- Step 4b – Mac: Open up the DMG and double click on Andromeda Client (purple icon), then it will ask you to pick the disk image that you just mounted in the file browser. Click on OK then wait for your device to launch Substratum.
- Step 4c – Linux: Unzip the archive and run ./start_andromeda.sh. Watch the script as it runs and then have fun.
Once you see Substratum running on your device, you are done with the set up process. Now you need to download few themes from the Google Play to start testing and customizing with Substratum.