TeamWin recently updated their custom recovery. With the guide ahead, you can install TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. The 2017 flagship from Samsung will be getting replaced in the coming months. This means, users would be looking to increase the overall performance of the smartphone. In order to this and get most out of the device, one can install TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery which will then unlock the ability to root the phone, flash third-party mods and more. The guide ahead uses Download mode which is built-in along with Odin for PC. Read the full steps required to install TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery on Galaxy S8 Plus.
As you continue reading further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update Galaxy S8 Plus with TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery using Odin. A custom recovery like TWRP 3.2.1 allows you to install custom ROMs, root Galaxy S8 Plus, create system backups or restore your phone and most of all, you can easily install additional system tweaks as well. You may also want to read about how to save TWRP backups on PC. Make sure you backup all your data before trying out this tutorial below because we don’t want you to lose any data, and anything could go wrong unexpectedly. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmware, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.2.1, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Our tutorial on the next page explains how you can install this TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery custom recovery on the following models of the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Exynos variant)
To make sure you own the correct Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus model / variant with the Exynos chipset, please see: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Model Numbers / Country Variants Guide.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs based on Android 7.0 Nougat, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with TWRP 3.2.1.
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Root Galaxy S8 Plus: How to Root Galaxy S8 Plus on Android 7.0 Firmware.
- USB Drivers: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Drivers and How to Connect with Computer.
- Recovery Mode: How to Access Recovery Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
- Install Oreo: How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus with TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery.
How to Install TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide for how to install TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery on Galaxy S8 Plus. If you are used to installing official firmware updates through Odin on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This TWRP 3.2.1 recovery installation tutorial is only for Galaxy S8 Plus G950F or G950FD. Please do not try on any other Galaxy S8 Plus variants.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone. [How to Enable USB Debugging]
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as a precaution.
- This TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery tutorial works with Android 7.0 Nougat firmware and all future Android updates.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download TWRP 3.2.1 Recovery package for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus and extract this file anywhere in your computer:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Exynos): twrp-3.2.1-r1_0424_dreamlte.tar
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Snapdragon): twrp-3.2.1-0-dream2lte.img.tar
NOTE: Make sure you select the appropriate file above for your Galaxy S8 Plus model.
Step 2 – Download Odin which will help you to install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus .
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode. [Need help? Read: How to Enter Download Mode on Galaxy S8 Plus]
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open Odin on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.