TeamWin has extended its support, now you can download and install TWRP 3.2.0 custom recovery on your OnePlus 5T with the guide ahead. For phones like the OnePlus 5T, enthusiasts always look to custom solutions and mod. Arguably, the first step to access these utilities is a custom recovery. Gladly, TeamWin has granted official support to OnePlus 5T with its latest TWRP 3.2.0 custom recovery. We have the full step-by-step guide detailed right ahead which you can easily follow. One of the mods most users would be looking forward to would be root and we will hopefully be covering the procedure for that as well. Before you proceed, make sure you have an unlocked bootloader. If you haven’t yet unlocked it, read: How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5T. You can follow our guide below on how to install TWRP on OnePlus 5T for installing custom ROMs.
As you continue reading further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update OnePlus 5T with TWRP 3.2 Recovery. A custom recovery like TWRP 3.2 allows you to install custom ROMs, root OnePlus 5T , create system backups or restore your phone and most of all, you can easily install additional system tweaks as well. Make sure you backup all your data before trying out this tutorial below because we don’t want you to lose any data, and anything could go wrong unexpectedly. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Root OnePlus 5T: How to Root OnePlus 5T on Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock OnePlus 5T Bootloader.
- Install Android 8.1 Oreo: How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus 5T custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
TWRP 3.2.0 Recovery on OnePlus 5T:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.2, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
OnePlus 5T will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with TWRP 3.2.
OnePlus 5T USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 5T properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below (and on the next page) and update OnePlus 5T with TWRP 3.2 Recovery.
HOW TO: Install TWRP 3.2.0 Recovery on OnePlus 5T
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Nexus / Google Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked OnePlus 5T. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5T.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up by downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 3 – Connect your OnePlus 5T to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 5 – Now go into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on OnePlus 5T. How? Press Volume Up + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.