Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus G950U is now receiving the Android 8.0 Oreo SQU1ZQK1 beta update, install it using the guide ahead. Naturally, as the Galaxy S8 is Samsung’s latest flagship, the priority of getting Android 8.0 Oreo running on it is quite high for the brand. This beta firmware gives you an insight to what actually Android 8.0 Oreo would look and feel like. As this is a beta firmware, you should expect few errors and force closes. Install and try the new Android 8.0 Oreo SQU1ZQK1 firmware through the procedure ahead. The update package is available in a zip file which can be flashed through the stock recovery of the phone using ADB. Before you go ahead and utilize this guide, you should be on the previous latest firmware — Android 7.0 SQU1AQGL Nougat. G955USQU1ZQK1 will adapt to the SIM inserted in the phone at time of flashing, you would get the boot logo and apps that usually ship on your Galaxy S8 Plus variant.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you how to install SQU1ZQK1 Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S8 Plus G955U using ADB sideload. We have also given some tips on how to backup your phone data and have given some other important tips. Don’t forget to backup all your apps and personal data as a precaution. Major revamps like these usually have a wipe script with them, meaning, after you finish the update process, your phone will be completely wiped. Now in order to avoid any problems we recommend backing up your data which might include documents, contacts, or even downloads. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
SQU1ZQK1 Android 8.0 Firmware Details:
Model name Galaxy S8 Plus
This firmware tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is for a specific model number and will not work if your phone is a different variant. SQU1ZQK1 Android 8.0 firmware is for the following phone:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus G955U or G955U1
To make sure you own the correct Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus model / variant, please see: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Model Numbers / Country Variants Guide.
You might find these following Galaxy S8 Plus G955U related articles interesting:
- Install TWRP: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
- USB Drivers: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Drivers and How to Connect with Computer.
- Recovery Mode: How to Access Recovery Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
- Install Android Oreo: How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus custom ROMs, click here!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Galaxy S8 Plus G955U, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung Smart Switch to your computer. Smart Switch helps to move data across different Android devices i.e moving Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge backup data to Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and update Galaxy S8 Plus G955U to Android 8.0 SQU1ZQK1 official firmware update.
How to Install SQU1ZQK1 Android 8.0 Beta on Galaxy S8 Plus G955U
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus to Android 8.0 SQU1ZQK1. This process uses ADB sideload to push the update zip package to the phone.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing on your device.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus G955U. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- You need to have Android 7.0 SQU1AQGL Nougat firmware currently running on your phone.
- G955USQU1ZQK1 is an official beta firmware by Samsung for the Galaxy S8 Plus G955U.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Rooting Warning: This is an official Android 8.0 build SQU1ZQK1 update for Galaxy S8 Plus G955U, which means you will lose root as soon as you install this update. You will again have to root Galaxy S8 Plus to gain full system access and be able to install root apps again. See here: How to Root Galaxy S8 Plus G955U on SQU1ZQK1 Android 8.0 Oreo Official Firmware.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 8.0 G955USQU1ZQK1 for Galaxy S8 Plus to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Please make sure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 2 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Recovery Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode. Read: How to Enter Download Mode on Galaxy S8 Plus.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy S8 Plus USB drivers installed on your computer.