Google has just announced Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview for compatible devices, download the images from links given ahead. Android 8.1 Oreo comes with some minor changes and refinements to Android 8.0 Oreo. The highlights include a new Neural Networks API which developers can utilize further Android 8.1 Oreo comes with more memory optimizations to better target devices with 1GB or less of RAM as a part of Android Go program. As for compatibility, this Developer Preview image surprisingly supports Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X — which were to stop receiving updates this year — alongside all Pixel devices. Nonetheless, you can read ahead to get all details on Android 8.1 Oreo and download Developer Preview Images for your device.
This is the first Developer Preview image release which means, bugs are to be expected and more Previews are to follow soon. As this isn’t a major Android upgrade, we don’t expect a large number of these preview images but rather we should see the final build quite soon. Further, Android 8.1 Oreo supports Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X. Below, details about the new features are given along with download links to Android 8.1 Developer Preview Images.
Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview – Details
Android 8.1 includes select new features and developer APIs (API level 27), along with the latest optimizations, bug fixes, and security patches. Some of the new APIs include:
- Android Go memory optimizations and targeting — Android 8.1 includes a set of memory optimizations for Android Go configurations (1GB or less of memory). We’ve added new hardware feature constants so you can now target the distribution of your apps and APK splits to normal or low-RAM devices running Android 8.1 and later.
- Neural Networks API — as part of our efforts to bring machine intelligence to Android, we’ve added a Neural Networks API via the NDK. It enables hardware-accelerated inference operations on supported devices. We designed the Neural Networks API as a foundational layer for ML frameworks like TensorFlow Lite —
- Google’s upcoming cross-platform ML framework for mobile — as well as Caffe2 and others. Stay tuned for TensorFlow Lite announcements.
- Autofill enhancements — we’ve made it easier for password managers and other Autofill services to use the Autofill framework. For example, we’ve added support for more UI customization of the Save dialog, as well as setAutofillOptions() for users to set credit card expiration using a spinner.
- Shared memory API — this new API lets apps allocate shared memory for faster access to common data. Apps can map anonymous shared memory and manage protection controls using the SharedMemory API. The API is parcelable, AIDL friendly, and exposes useful features like removing write permissions.
Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview Image Download
Here are the download links to the Developer Preview images made available by Google. Before flashing, make sure to backup as these images will wipe your phone to factory settings.
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Pixel: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Pixel XL: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Pixel C: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Pixel 2: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Pixel 2 XL: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Nexus 5X: Download here!
Download Android 8.1 Developer Preview OPP5 for Nexus 6P: Download here!