Easily root Moto E4 running Android 7.1.1 Nougat with this detailed guide which utilizes Magisk. The Moto E4 is Motorola’s latest budget offering. Coming packed with decent hardware, users can squeeze more power out of this phone by rooting it. Once rooted, your phone would be able to run latest root apps directly from the Play Store. Along with that, you would be able to flash custom ROMs and Mod packages. The procedure we would be using requires you to have a Moto E4 with an unlocked bootloader and should have TWRP custom recovery installed. After you have made sure you are meeting the requirements, read ahead to easily root Moto E4 with Magisk package on Android 7.1 Nougat.
As you read ahead, we will be listing the whole root procedure for Moto E4 along with download links to files required. After root, as mentioned, you will be able to make use of root apps such as Titanium Backup. Read our list of the essential root apps available! Make sure you go through all the tips given below and keep them in mind before performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data. Let’s continue with the tutorial now!
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Moto E4 Magisk Root Package Details:
Magisk is the universal package being developed for Android phones. It uses a reliable exploit which works on multiple phones including the Moto E4 which runs Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box.
Please note, this tutorial requires you to have TWRP custom recovery installed on your Moto E4 in order to be able to root your phone. If you do not have the custom recovery installed, we have a link to the tutorial given below.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Moto E4, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto E4.
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update Moto E4 with TWRP Recovery.
- Install Android Oreo on PC: How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Moto E4 custom ROMs, click here!
Moto E4 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Moto E4 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and root Moto E4 on Android 7.1 Nougat.
How to Root Moto E4 with Magisk on Android 7.1 Nougat
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to root Moto E4 with Magisk. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This root method tutorial is only for Moto E4. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of Moto E4.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
NOTE: You need to have a custom recovery installed on your Moto E4 i.e. TWRP before proceeding below. Installation tutorial: How to Update Moto E4 with TWRP Recovery.
Step 2 – Connect your Moto E4 to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded Magisk-v14.0.zip and no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip files to your internal storage. Make sure the file is in the internal storage root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode (TWRP Recovery). Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.