This is a complete guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Moto E4 Android phone. Yes, TWRP custom recovery is now available for the Moto E4. After you install it, you would have access to hundreds of mods, custom ROMs and most importantly, root. Motorola places the Moto E4 just under the Moto G line. It features a Mediatek processor and a 5 inch screen. One of the easiest mods you can do to get more out of this little device is by installing TWRP custom recovery and then using it to further install other mods. The TWRP custom recovery is a port of the original source code and it carries all of the TWRP functionality. As we detailed earlier, it is essential you have an unlocked bootloader on your Moto E4. Let’s take a look at how you can install Moto E4 TWRP recovery on this phone.
Moto E4 currently runs Android Nougat but with custom ROMs, you can try out Android 8.0 Oreo on it. As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to install TWRP 3.1.1 Recovery on Moto E4 with complete steps. You will also be able to root Moto E4 with SuperSU once you install a custom recovery. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Moto E4 TWRP 3.1.1 Recovery – Details:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1 is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Moto E4 will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with TWRP 3.0.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Motorola Moto E4, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto E4.
- Install Oreo on PC: How to Try and Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Moto E4, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Moto E4 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Moto E4 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Motorola / Moto users can also back up data using Motorola Device Manager to the computer. Device Manager comes with the latest Moto drivers and is compatible with Windows and Mac platforms. You can easily transfer your data between the phone and your laptop with this tool.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and install TWRP Recovery on Moto E4 with the given step-by-step tutorial.
HOW TO: Install Moto E4 TWRP Custom Recovery
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Moto E4 TWRP recovery. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Nexus / Google Pixel / Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked Moto E4. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto E4.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Please make sure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 3 – Connect your Moto E4 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 – Download TWRP (twrp-perry-3.1.1-r3.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.