You can download and install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. The best thing for older Android phones are the custom ROMs. These ROMs give such devices a new shot at life by upgrading them to newer Android revisions which aren’t necessarily available through their official manufacturer. The custom ROM we have listed below for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which means, the User Interface is as stock as it can be and carries no extra bloat / tweaks. Read ahead to download Android 8.0 AOSP Oreo custom ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and install it. A custom recovery like TWRP will be needed to install Android 8.0 based AOSP ROM zip file, since this is not an official firmware.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of AOSP ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 8.0 Oreo based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 8.0 AOSP Oreo ROM Details:
This amazing AOSP custom ROM comes with many new features and is based on Android 8.0 Oreo. It gives you a number of customization options and stability.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Oreo on PC: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 custom ROMs, click here!
Like this AOSP ROM based on the latest Android 8.0? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to Android 8.0 AOSP Oreo custom firmware.
TUTORIAL: How to Install Android 8.0 AOSP Oreo on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 8.0 AOSP Oreo custom firmware on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Redmi Note 3, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing Android 8.0 AOSP ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Please do not try on any other Redmi Note 3 variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed in order to install this AOSP ROM on your phone.
- Your phone should be rooted in order to install this AOSP ROM on your phone.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 8.0 AOSP ROM for Redmi Note 3 to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Redmi Note 3 USB memory to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded Android 8.0 ROM zip file to your phone memory / SD card. Make sure the file is in the phone memory / SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.