How to Install Android 8.0 OPR5 Oreo on Nexus 6P with Official Factory Image
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install the official Android 8.0 Oreo (OPR5) on Nexus 6P using the factory image provided by Google. This tutorial is for beginners who are not used to playing around with official factory images by Google for their Nexus devices.
Please make sure your phone fulfills all the requirements and you read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Disclaimer: Try this on your own risk. We are not responsible if you mess up with your Nexus 6P.
Just To Remember:
- This tutorial is only for Nexus 6P and we are not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Nexus 6P on other carriers.
- Your phone can be on any previous Android version or even on a custom ROM. It doesn’t matter at all. This tutorial will still work for installing Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone. [How to Enable USB Debugging]
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’.
- Enjoy Android 8.0 on your device and let us know your review about it!
NOTE: Installing Android 8.0 OPR5 Oreo factory image will WIPE / DELETE / ERASE everything from your phone if your bootloader is not already unlocked. Please make sure you have a backup of all the data. Read: How to Backup Android Apps and Other Data.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 8.0 Oreo Factory Image (angler-opr5.170623.007-factory-b4c75d12.zip) for Nexus 6P on your PC, if you haven’t already.
Step 2 – Connect your Nexus 6P to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Please make sure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 3 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 4 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 5 – Get into the Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on your phone. Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons till you see the Fastboot menu and START on top.
Step 6 – Now extract the downloaded file anywhere in your computer. Go to the folder angler-opr5.170623.007-factory-b4c75d12.zip and then copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory.
Note: If you followed our tutorial on setting up Fastboot on your computer, there is a 99% chance your Fastboot directory will be the platform-tools folder in your Android SDK files.
Step 7 – From the factory image files in your Fastboot directory, do the following depending which OS you are on:
- On Windows: Run the file “flash-all.bat”.
- On Mac: Run the file “flash-all.sh” using Terminal.
- On Linux: Run the file “flash-all.sh”.
Step 8 – That’s pretty much that you had to do for flashing the stock factory image on your Nexus 6P. Now wait and watch as the process is completed — or follow the on-screen instructions on your phone if in case you have to unlock the bootloader.
Step 9 – After the installation completes, the phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait with patience!
That’s it! Your Nexus 6P should now have the official Android 8.0 OPR5 Oreo software update installed on your phone using the stock factory image from Google! Go to Settings > System > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems or issues while trying to flash Android 8.0 Oreo on your Nexus 6P, drop a comment below and we will help you out.