HMD Global has released August 2017 OTA update (Security Update) for the Nokia 5 smartphone and you can download and also, install it through the guide given below. At this pace, Nokia is providing some promising software support. Not only have they been able to keep the updates at par with Google’s own Pixel and Nexus devices – the gold standard – but they have managed to include bug-fixes and other changes as well. The new update comes with the August 2017 security patch which will maintain security and reliability on your phone. You can install the OTA Update immediately by reading our full procedure ahead. We have listed all the steps through which you can update your Nokia 5 smartphone to August 2017 OTA Update.
Our guide works with the Nokia 5 only as the update is device specific. Other smartphones in the 2017 Nokia lineup would be receiving this update any time so stay tuned to this space. The procedure basically revolves around you downloading the update zip package manually and then installing it through the stock recovery. As it is an official update, it works with the stock recovery.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Nokia 5 August 2017 OTA Update Details:
Google’s August 2017 security patch is now available for the Nokia 5 through this update. The main changes rely on the security code base but Nokia has used this opportunity to include some other bug fixes and changes as well.
Meanwhile, you should also check out the following articles:
- Install Android O: How to Install Android O on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For the complete collection of Marshmallow based ROMs for the Nokia 5, visit our Custom ROMs page.
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Nokia 5, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Nokia 5 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Nokia 5 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and update your Nokia 5 with August 2017 OTA update.
How to Install August 2017 OTA Update on Nokia 5
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install the official August 2017 OTA update on Nokia 5 using the built-in stock recovery. This tutorial is for beginners who are not used to installing such OTA update files manually on their Nokia devices.
Please make sure your phone fulfills all the requirements and you read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Just To Remember:
- This tutorial is only for Nokia 5 TA-1053. Please do not try it for any other variant other than this one.
- Your Nokia 5 should be running official software for this guide to work.
- Phones with custom ROMs or a custom recovery will not be able to install this update.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android August 2017 OTA File for Nokia 5 on your PC. Rename the file to exactly “update.zip“.
Step 2 – Connect your Nokia 5 to your PC and transfer the file to the root of your phone memory. (Not in any folder)
Step 3 – Reboot your phone into recovery by powering off your smartphone then connecting it to your computer. Once the charging animation is visible, start holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together. You would see a countdown, ignore it until it finishes. Once it ends, you should be in recovery. If you are having issues, consult our guide: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Device.
Step 4 – From the options listed, select “Apply Update from SD Card“. Use Volume Buttons to scroll and Power Button to select.
Step 5 – It will automatically search for the update and proceed to install it. You can confirm Yes if asked.
Step 6 – Once it’s completed, it will return to initial recovery screen, you can select Reboot to system.
That’s it! Your Nokia 5 should now have the official August 2017 OTA software update installed on your phone! Go to Settings > About phone > Android security patch level to verify.
Enjoy the new reliability update on your Nokia 5. All the instructions are clearly given above, but if you have any issues, please let us know below.