You can install TeamWin’s newest TWRP 3.1.0 custom recovery on your OnePlus 3 with the procedure detailed below. TWRP 3.1.0 is TeamWin’s latest iteration of the popular custom recovery. It carries a newer User Interface which is more catered towards touch. It also has performance boosts and is now built with Android 7.0 Nougat code hence fully supports Android 7.0 ROMs. There are more changes over the previous recovery version, you would have to install it to experience them all for yourself. The OnePlus 3 comes with a locked bootloader but fortunately, the process of unlocking is easy. This article assumes you have already unlocked the bootloader. For those of you who haven’t done it already, please read our guide on: How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 3 Unlock Bootloader. You can follow our guide below on how to install TWRP on OnePlus 3 for installing custom ROMs.
As you continue reading further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update OnePlus 3 with TWRP 3.1 Recovery. A custom recovery like TWRP 3.1 allows you to install custom ROMs, root OnePlus 3 , create system backups or restore your phone and most of all, you can easily install additional system tweaks as well. Make sure you backup all your data before trying out this tutorial below because we don’t want you to lose any data, and anything could go wrong unexpectedly. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Root OnePlus 3: How to Root OnePlus 3 on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock OnePlus 3 Bootloader.
- Try Android O: How to Try and Install Android O on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus 3 custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery on OnePlus 3:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 2.8, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
OnePlus 3 will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with TWRP 3.1.
OnePlus 3 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 3 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update OnePlus 3 with TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery.