You can now root Huawei P9 Lite on official Android 6.0 Marshmallow or Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. In this tutorial, we have listed the entire instructions on how to root this phone and gain full system access. To do that, you will need to have TWRP recovery installed on the Huawei P9 Lite phone. We will be using SuperSU package for this tutorial as that is the best available method to root this phone. So to install SuperSU, you need to have a custom recovery. This guide is on how to root Huawei P9 Lite with Android 6.0 / Android 7.0 firmware. If you are looking for the tutorial on rooting Huawei P9, you will find that here.
As you continue reading, our guide will explain how you can root Huawei P9 lite with EMUI 4.1 (Android Marshmallow / Nougat). Please make sure you backup your data before proceeding with the tutorial, as we do not want anyone to lose their data. During the rooting procedure, you will have to wipe all data from your phone.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Root Huawei P9 lite – SuperSU Root Package Details:
SuperSU is one of our favorite rooting packages as it comes with all the binaries needed to gain root access on your different Android phones. Not just this, the SuperSU app is much more robust and comes with better features than the previously popular SuperUser app.
Please note, this tutorial to root Huawei P9 lite requires you to have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP custom recovery installed on your Huawei P9 lite in order to be able to root your phone. If you do not have the custom recovery installed, we have a link to the tutorial given below.
Related Posts to Huawei P9 lite:
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei P9 lite, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P9 Lite.
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update Huawei P9 lite with TWRP Recovery.
- Install Nougat: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
Huawei P9 lite USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Huawei users can also back up data using Huawei HiSuite to your computer. HiSuite tool helps to move data across different Android devices and manage your phone directly from a computer. You can easily transfer your data between the phone and your laptop.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and root Huawei P9 lite running either Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow or Android 7.0 Nougat.
How to Root Huawei P9 lite with SuperSU
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to root Huawei P9 lite with SuperSU. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This root method tutorial is only for Huawei P9 lite. Please don’t try this on any other phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? Read: How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P9 Lite.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
NOTE: You need to have a custom recovery installed on your device i.e. TWRP before proceeding below. Installation tutorial: How to Install TWRP 3.1.0 on Huawei P9 lite.
Step 1 – Download SuperSU Root (SuperSU-v2.82.zip) to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect your P9 lite to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded superuser-r275.zip file to your internal storage. Make sure the file is in the internal storage root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode (TWRP Recovery). Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in TWRP Recovery, tap on the ‘Install’ button from the list, choose the ZIP file that you copied to your phone memory in Step 3.