Samsung Galaxy S7 can now be installed with TeamWin’s latest TWRP 3.1.0 custom recovery. The key highlight of this new build is better Android Nougat support. It is built on Android 7.0 Nougat code so it has better compatibility with newer mods and patches. You can have it running on your phone in a matter of minutes by following the detailed guide below. For those new to TWRP, this custom recovery offers the most versatile experience. Built-in functions include ability to separately wipe each partition, wipe user data, wipe dalvik cache and flash latest third-party zip packages including custom ROMs. In order to install TWRP 3.1.0 on your Galaxy S7, please read our detailed guide below. As Galaxy S7 international model doesn’t have a locked bootloader, this guide can work on its own given that you have the correct model. Install TWRP 3.1.0 on your Galaxy S7 through the following steps.
As you continue reading further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update Galaxy S7 with TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery using ODIN. A custom recovery like TWRP 3.1.0 allows you to install custom ROMs, root Galaxy S7 , create system backups or restore your phone and most of all, you can easily install additional system tweaks as well. Make sure you backup all your data before trying out this tutorial below because we don’t want you to lose any data, and anything could go wrong unexpectedly. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Root Galaxy S7: How to Root Galaxy S7 on Android 7.0 Firmware.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy S7 custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery on Galaxy S7:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.0, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Our tutorial on the next page explains how you can install this TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery custom recovery on the following models of the Samsung Galaxy S7:
- Samsung Galaxy S7 (LTE)
Samsung Galaxy S7 will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with TWRP 3.1.0.
Samsung Galaxy S7 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S7 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung Smart Switch to your computer. Smart Switch helps to move data across different Android devices i.e moving Samsung Galaxy S7 backup data to Samsung Galaxy S8.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Samsung Galaxy S7 with TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery.
HOW TO: Install TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S7
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide for how to install TWRP 3.1.0 custom recovery on Galaxy S7. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This TWRP 3.1.0 recovery installation tutorial is only for Galaxy S7. Please do not try on any other Galaxy S7 variants.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as a precaution.
- This TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery tutorial works with Android 7.0 and all future Android updates.
- Go to Settings > About device on your Galaxy S7 and check your model no. It should be G930F or G930FD. If anything else, please do not proceed.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery package for Samsung Galaxy S7 and extract this file anywhere in your computer:
- Samsung Galaxy S7: twrp-3.1.0-0-herolte.img.tar
NOTE: Make sure you select the appropriate file above for your Galaxy S7 model.
Step 2 – Download Odin which will help you to install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S7 .
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Samsung Galaxy S7 USB drivers installed on your computer.