LineageOS is our favorite and one of the most popular Android ROMs available today. It is available for a number of devices is one of the most stable custom ROMs out there. The ROM has many customization features and it receives regular official updates. With this tutorial, you will be able to update Huawei Honor 5X to Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat using this complete tutorial. A custom recovery will be needed to install Android 7.1.1 based LineageOS ROM zip file, since this is not an official Huawei firmware update.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of LineageOS ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 7.1.1 Nougat based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a Huawei Honor 5X user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat ROM Details:
This amazing LineageOS custom ROM comes with many new features and is based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat. It gives you a number of customization options and stability.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei Honor 5X, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Try Nougat on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Root Honor 5X: How to Root Huawei Honor 5X.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Honor 5X Bootloader – Full Guide.
- Install TWRP: How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Huawei Honor 5X
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Huawei Honor 5X custom ROMs, click here!
Like this LineageOS ROM based on the latest Android 7.1.1? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Huawei Honor 5X USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Huawei Honor 5X properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup Android ROM. How? –> How to Backup Android ROM with Nandroid / Recovery.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Huawei Honor 5X to Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat custom firmware.
TUTORIAL: How to Install Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat on Huawei Honor 5X
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat custom firmware on Huawei Honor 5X. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Honor 5X, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing Android 7.1.1 LineageOS ROM on Huawei Honor 5X. Please do not try on any other Honor 5X variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed in order to install this LineageOS ROM on your phone. [Tutorial: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Honor 5X]
- Your phone should be rooted in order to install this LineageOS ROM on your phone. [Tutorial: How to Root Honor 5X]
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 7.1.1 LineageOS ROM for Honor 5X to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Honor 5X USB memory to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded Android 7.1.1 ROM zip file to your phone memory / SD card. Make sure the file is in the phone memory / SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in TWRP Recovery, perform a full data wipe by tapping on the ‘Wipe’ button. Then swipe on the “Swipe to Factory Reset” option at the bottom.
Step 8 – Confirm installation on the next screen by swiping on the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option. The installation procedure should start now as show below.
Step 11 – You can now reboot your phone by selecting the “Reboot System” button.
Your Huawei Honor 5X will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time after flashing a new ROM. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Huawei Honor 5X should now have Android 7.1.1 LineageOS Nougat custom ROM installed! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.