With this guide, you can install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery directly on your Samsung Galaxy A7 2017. A custom recovery like ClockworkMod allows you to flash third-party packages which include custom ROMs and system wide themes. Also, ClockworkMod recovery allows you to perform functions that are otherwise unavailable in the stock recovery. With CWM recovery, you can also root your Galaxy A7 (2017). As Nougat isn’t yet available for the phone, you can try to find Android 7.0 Nougat ROMs for your device and flash them as well. ClockworkMod recovery can be easily installed on the Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official firmware using the tutorial below. Please note, this tutorial is NOT firmware dependent, so it will work with future Android updates as well — including the upcoming Android 7.0 Nougat firmware.
As you continue reading further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update Galaxy A7 (2017) with ClockworkMod Recovery, using ODIN. A custom recovery like ClockworkMod allows you to install custom ROMs, root Galaxy A7 (2017), create Nandroid backups or restore your phone and most of all, you can easily install additional system tweaks as well. Make sure you backup all your data before trying out this tutorial below because we don’t want you to lose any data, and anything could go wrong unexpectedly. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on Galaxy A7 (2017):
This CWM Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this CWM Recovery on their phones.
Our tutorial on the next page explains how you can install this ClockworkMod custom recovery on Galaxy A7 (2017)A720F.
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM or TWRP recovery. Android 7.0 Nougat will soon be released officially by Samsung, but in the meanwhile, any custom ROM that gets released will be installable on the phone with ClockworkMod Recovery.
You might be interested in the following article as well:
- Root Galaxy A7 (2017): How to Root Galaxy A7 (2017) on Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware.
- Try Nougat on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Galaxy A7 (2017) custom ROMs, click here!
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Galaxy A7 (2017) properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) with ClockworkMod Recovery.
HOW TO: Install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017)
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide for how to install CWM custom recovery on Galaxy A7 (2017). If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This recovery installation tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017). All variants of the phone have been covered below.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as a precaution.
- This CWM Recovery tutorial works with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and all future Android updates.
- Go to Settings > About device on your Galaxy A7 (2017) and check your model no.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download ClockworkMod Recovery package for your Galaxy A7 (2017) variant from the links below.
NOTE: Make sure you download the file for the correct variant. Check your model number from Settings > About phone.
Step 2 – Download ODIN v3.09 which will help you to install CWM Recovery on Galaxy A7 (2017) .
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy A7 (2017) USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Now select the following file that you have to flash/install on your phone. This file will be found from the extracted file in Step 1.
- Click on ‘PDA’ / ‘AP’ and select the CWM package file you downloaded in step 1 for your phone.
Step 8 – In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options, if not already.
Step 9 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 – After the installation is completed, your phone will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically and install the root package / files. Your ID:COM box will also turn green.
Step 11 – After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it! Your Galaxy A7 (2017) has now been flashed with ClockworkMod Recovery. To enter Recovery Mode, shut down phone and then hold down the Home + Volume Up buttons and press the Power button for about 5 seconds to enter Recovery Mode.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
Whenever you restart your phone, stock recovery keeps showing up? There is a fix for that. For details on how to make ClockworkMod Recovery permanent on your Android phone, head over to the next page.