Huawei Honor 6X is one of the most popular Huawei Phones. It was released in October last year and is the latest device in the Honor X series. The phone came with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box and Huawei is currently testing the Android 7.0 Nougat Update for Huawei Honor 6X.
Install TWRP on Huawei Honor 6X
A stock recovery is installed on every device by default but it does not allow you to perform many operations. Installing a custom recovery allows you to install flashable zips and perform wipes and factory reset right from the recovery menu. It also allows you to perform a complete backup of your phone as it is and you can restore the backup anytime you want.
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Try Nougat on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: As you are going to root your phone in this tutorial, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Honor 6X.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Go to Settings>Developer Options and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
- Download one-click install TWRP Recovery here.
Installing TWRP Recovery
- Extract the Recovery zip file and connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the .exe file.
- It may be in Chinese language but you can read the recovery options.
- Click in “Recovery” and it will start the process.
- Once the process is complete, restart your device.
How to Root Huawei Honor 6X
Rooting the device gives you admin access. You can install different custom ROMs after rooting the device. Plus you can do many more things like changing the interface, change how the signal bar or battery indicator looks like and installing custom themes.
Here is the simple guide to root Huawei Honor 6X.
- Download SuperSU Zip file here.
- Transfer the downloaded file to the device storage.
- Switch off your device and boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power key simultaneously.
- The TWRP recovery will open that you just installed.
- Select “Install” and locate the SuperSU Zip file which you transferred to your phone.
- Swipe right to confirm and wait for the installation to complete.
- After successful installation, select Wipe Dalvik/Cache.
- Restart your device.
Congratulations. Your phone is now rooted and you can install custom ROMs on your device.