The new and refined OnePlus 3T can now be rooted with SuperSU through this easy and simple guide. OnePlus brand has released the 3T as a refinement of the original 3 with same design but better hardware. The OnePlus 3T, however, still runs Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow but thanks to root, you would be able to change that. Root utility has been with Android since the very start. Apart from giving users more access to the system, it allows for more customization and ability to install hundreds of root apps straight from the Play Store. The process to root OnePlus 3T is quite simple. All you need is TWRP custom recovery installed, unlocked bootloader and SuperSU package downloaded. All of these steps have been detailed below. Not quite sure about whether to root? read: Benefits of rooting an Android device. You can now easily root OnePlus 3T on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official software version using our tutorial.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the process of how to root Android 6.0.1 on OnePlus 3T with all the instructions and files needed. Rooting will allow you to install root apps on your phone, i.e Titanium Backup. Read our list of the essential root apps available! Make sure you go through all the tips given below and keep them in mind before performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data. Let’s continue with the tutorial now!
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
OnePlus 3T SuperSU Root Package Details:
SuperSU is one of our favourite rooting package as it comes with all the binaries needed to gain root access on your OnePlus 3T Android phone. Not just this, the SuperSU app is much more robust and comes with better features than the previously popular SuperUser app.
Please note, this tutorial requires you to have TWRP custom recovery installed on your OnePlus 3T in order to be able to root your phone. If you do not have the custom recovery installed, we have a link to the tutorial given below.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus 3T, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 3T.
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update OnePlus 3T with TWRP Recovery.
- Install Marshmallow: How to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus 3T custom ROMs, click here!
OnePlus 3T USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 3T properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
5. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 3T.
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and root OnePlus 3T on OxygenOS with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
How to Root OnePlus 3T with SuperSU on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to root OnePlus 3T with SuperSU. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This root method tutorial is only for OnePlus 3T. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 3T.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
NOTE: You need to have a custom recovery installed on your OnePlus 3T i.e. TWRP before proceeding below. Installation tutorial: How to Update OnePlus 3T with TWRP Recovery.
Step 1 – Download SuperSU Root (SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip) for OnePlus 3T to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect your OnePlus 3T to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip file to your internal storage. Make sure the file is in the internal storage root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode (TWRP Recovery). Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in TWRP Recovery, tap on the ‘Install’ button from the list, choose the ZIP file that you copied to your phone memory in Step 3.
Step 7 – Confirm installation on the next screen by swiping on the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option. The installation procedure should start now as show below.
That’s it. Your OnePlus 3T has now been rooted on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with SuperSU package. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify.
To make sure you have correctly installed the above root method and it’s working, verify with Root Checker as given in the link.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.