Google’s latest Pixel XL smartphone can now be installed with TWRP custom recovery. TeamWin has released its official TWRP 3.0.2 release build for the Pixel XL. It comes with all the features you experience on other smartphones. It not only allows you to install third-party packages but also helps you in performing advanced tasks that you otherwise can’t with a stock recovery. This time, however, TWRP recovery installation procedure has changed a little bit to compensate for the newly announced background updates feature. Don’t worry as we have covered the whole procedure in detail along with tips and tricks. After two alpha builds, this is the final stable package so you wont experience any major errors or bugs. Do note, once you install the custom recovery, the method to access it will remain the same as for accessing stock recovery. You can follow our step by step guide given below on installing TWRP 3.0.2 custom recovery on Google Pixel XL.
As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to install TWRP 3.0.2 Recovery on Pixel XL with complete steps. Why do we even need a custom recovery? To install all the awesome custom ROMs, themes, tons of mods and flashing official firmware updates. You will also be able to root Pixel XL once you install a custom recovery. Read our list of the essential root apps available! Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
TWRP Recovery 3.0.2 for Pixel XL – Details:
Here is a little about the TWRP Recovery as per the official website:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.0, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
NOTE: All the instructions needed for installing TWRP 3.0.2 on Pixel XL are given on the next page. In case you have problems connecting your phone with the computer (Windows or Mac), make sure USB drivers are properly installed and read the tips below.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Google Pixel XL, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Nougat: How to Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Pixel XL, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Google Pixel XL USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Google Pixel XL properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Marshmallow.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and install TWRP Recovery on Pixel XL with the given step-by-step tutorial.
HOW TO: Install TWRP 3.0.2 Recovery on Pixel XL
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Google Pixel XL. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Honor / Google Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked Google Pixel XL. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on Pixel XL.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. See: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download Fastboot / ADB package from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
Step 2 – Download twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.0.2-0-RC1.zip and place it on the root directory of your phone. After that, turn your phone OFF.
Step 3 – Connect your Pixel XL to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-marlin.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 5 – Now go into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on Pixel XL. How? Press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.
Step 6 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.
Step 7 – Type in the following command and press Enter.
fast boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-marlin.img
Step 8 – Once you enter the command, the phone will boot into TWRP. Now use the “Install” option to flash the “””” zip file. This will ensure your TWRP doesn’t get reset to stock on reboot.
That’s it! You should now be in the TWRP Recovery from where you can choose whatever function you want to perform.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!