After updating your Nexus 6P to the new Android 7.0 NRD90M Nougat firmware, use this guide to root it. Root Nexus 6P running Android 7.0 NRD90M through our detailed guide given below which uses quality tools and utilities. Being the first major version upgrade in the lifespan of the Nexus 6P, the new firmware brings loads of changes and new features. But once you update, you would lose root functionality which is why we have compiled this guide. For users who are rooting for the first time, don’t worry as the process is same in both cases. The tools we mentioned about previously include SuperSU and TWRP custom recovery. The only prerequisite of this guide is, you should be running Android 7.0 NRD90M on your tablet, if not then follow the following guide: Update Nexus 6P to Android 7.0 NRD90M Nougat Factory Image. The OTA (Over-the-air) update system has started receiving this update but if you can’t find it, you follow the aforementioned guide to manually install it and root it afterwards with this article. You can easily root Nexus 6P on Android 7.0 NRD90M Nougat using the tutorial below. You will need to have an unlocked bootloader first, or this tutorial will wipe off all your data. Don’t worry, we have everything covered in the detailed steps below – even a tutorial on how to install TWRP 3.0 recovery. Why should you root? Read: Benefits of rooting an Android device.
As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to root Android 7.0 NRD90M on Nexus 6P with complete steps and how to flash ClockworkMod recovery on your phone. We will use TWRP recovery as our custom recovery and SuperSU as our rooting package. For more details, continue reading. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Root Nexus 6P Android 7.0 NRD90M Details:
Android 7.0 Nougat is now available for the Nexus 6P, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 phones. These are the major changes in final release of Android 7.0, as per Google:
The latest Android 7.0 Nougat NRD90M focuses on new features such as a more extensive dose mode, better Android Pay integration and much more. With Android 7.0 Nougat, the design mostly remains the same as before but with few minor tweaks such as the new launcher.
Meanwhile, you should also check out the following articles:
- Install Android 7.0: How to Update Nexus 6P to Android 7.0 NRD90M Nougat Factory Image.
- Root Apps: You should check out our list of essential root apps that you should install.
- Install Nougat: How to Install Android 6.0 Nougat on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For the complete collection of Nougat based ROMs for the Nexus 6P, visit our Custom ROMs page.
The method to root Nexus 6P Android 7.0 has been explained with instructions on the next page. In case you have problems connecting your phone with the computer, make sure USB drivers are properly installed and read the tips below.
Huawei Nexus 6P USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Huawei Nexus 6P properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now go to the next page and root Android 7.0 NRD90M on Nexus 6P + install TWRP recovery with the given step-by-step tutorial.