Few things that new owners of the Moto G4 Plus should probably do first is to unlock bootloader. Simply, this will allow you to have more access over your phone resulting in the ability to install custom ROMs, themes, tweaks and more. Most of our tweaks and ROM guides for the Moto G4 Plus will require you to have an unlocked bootloader as a prerequisite. The bootloader of an Android phone is tied to its system partition which can only be modified if it is unlocked. The benefits are countless hence most power users do this right before setting up their phone. Thanks to Motorola, the process is simple and straight forward. You can follow the detailed steps on how to unlock bootloader on Moto G4 Plus right below.
If you are having a bootloop or you are stuck with force closes, it is good to have an unlocked bootloader as you would be able to return to factory settings in matter of no time. Let’s get on with the tutorial and unlock bootloader of your Motorola phone. We have a complete guide below that will help you have an unlocked bootloader in no time. you will need to backup all your existing phone data and files. For that, we have some amazing tips given below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
First of all you should make sure you are running the latest USB drivers for your Moto G4 Plus. Depending on your system, you can download the latest USB drivers straight from this page.
1. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
2. Backup all your important data that you might need because unlocking your bootloader will delete/wipe all your data. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
NOTE: To prevent unauthorized access to your data, unlocking the bootloader will delete all personal data from your device including applications, text messages and personalized settings.
3. This tutorial is only for unlocked Moto G4. Carrier / network locked Motor G4(s) are not supported by this tutorial.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and unlock bootloader of your Moto G4.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G4 Plus
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader of your Moto G4. Please read every line carefully. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
IMPORTANT: Unlocking your device may void all or parts of your warranty by Motorola.
Step 1 – Go to the bootloader unlock page at the Motorola website.
Step 2 – Scroll down and click “Next”. If you have already configured your Google account on your phone then Sign in with the same account otherwise use your Motorola website account. If you don’t have any of those accounts than click on the Sign Up button.
Step 3 – After you are logged in, you would be displayed with a bunch of steps. Don’t worry we will be explaining each and everyone so you can follow along easily.
Step 4 – Download Android SDK Platform-Tools (Fastboot) now and extract the ZIP file in C:\ drive (or anywhere in your computer).
Step 5 – Now hold the Power button on your Moto G4for 10 seconds to completely turn it off.