XOSP is a new custom ROM for Nexus 5. It means Xperia Open Source Project. This ROM literally changes your Nexus 5 into the latest Sony flagship device Xperia Z5. This ROM is a complete port of Xperia Z5 firmware and includes all of the Sony’s exclusive apps like Music, Album, Videos and the latest Camera app 2.0. It even includes Xperia Themes too. Some minor customisation is also present so that if you don’t like anything, you can modify it according to your liking. There are no bugs in this fantastic ROM and it runs smooth and fast. Xperia UI is one of the best OEM Android UIs available so it is nice to see it on a Nexus device. If interested in Android 6.0.1 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. Stock and official firmware are always good, but custom ROMs make them better with new features and lots of system tweaks that are not otherwise possible. This is clearly one of the advantages of rooting your Android phone (read: Benefits of Rooting an Android Device). You can update Nexus 5 to Android 6.0.1 XOSP Marshmallow custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by LG/Google, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod and your phone to be rooted in order to flash the ROM zip file on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 6.0.1 XOSP Marshmallow ROM on Nexus 5 with complete steps and instructions. We also have a set of important tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. Don’t forget to backup your phone as you will have to wipe all your data during the installation process. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 6.0.1 XOSP Marshmallow ROM Details:
This amazing XOSP custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. A quick list of the main features in XOSP is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Nexus 5:
Based on CM 13.0
Removed many unnecessary apps and stuff as well as CM ones
ViPER Audio Engine
Xperia based Bootanimation
Xperia Z5 sounds
Xperia Z5 Custom Wallpapers
ROM provided with a white Indigo Theme
Stock Browser is custom themed
Status bar logo
Navigation Bar ON/OFF
HW Keys ON/OFF
Status bar Network Traffic indicator
RAM Bar in recents options
Long Press back to kill in Development Settings
Ability to hide the Super SU status bar icon
Dashboard double lines toggle
Double Tap to sleep anywhere on the lockscreen
- Xperia Z5 Home
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the LG Nexus 5, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Android 4.4.4: How to Update Nexus 5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat with Official Factory Image.
- Root Android 4.4.4: Root Nexus 5 Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat and Install CWM Recovery.
- Android 6.0.1 Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Nexus 5 custom ROMs, click here!
Like this XOSP ROM based on the latest Android 6.0.1? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
LG Nexus 5 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for LG Nexus 5 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Nexus backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus 5 to Android 6.0.1 XOSP Marshmallow custom firmware.