Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge both facilitate you in upgrading from an older smartphone by providing different and easy means of transferring previous data to it. Unseen before, Samsung is trying to bridge the gap between user’s existing data and the newly purchased Galaxy smartphone. The way Samsung achieves this is by utilizing a computer companion software as well as a counterpart app for it present on the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge itself. Also, all Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge smartphones ship with a multi-purpose proprietary micro-USB dongle for transferring data to and fro. Read our detailed step-by-step guide below on how you can transfer data from any old smartphone to your new Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge.
The procedures are quite a few. The main purpose for such diversity is to address all the scenarios that might occur with customers. We have listed all of them below for your ease so follow which you find the most easiest and quickest.
Transferring data from your previous device to Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge
You can transfer data from a previous device to your device via Samsung Smart Switch.
The following versions of Samsung Smart Switch are available.
- Mobile version: Transfer data between mobile devices. You can launch the mobile version app by tapping Settings → Backup and reset → Open Smart Switch. If you do not have the app, download it from Galaxy Apps or Play Store.
- Computer version: Transfer data between your device and a computer. You can download the app from www.samsung.com/smartswitch.
- Samsung Smart Switch is not supported on some devices or computers.
- Limitations apply. Visit www.samsung.com/smartswitch for details. Samsung takes copyright seriously. Only transfer content that you own or have the right to transfer.
Transferring data via an USB connection
You can connect your previous device to your device with the USB connector and a USB cable to easily and quickly transfer data without installing an app in the previous device.
Step 1 – Plug the USB connector into the multipurpose jack of your device.
Step 2 – Connect your device and the previous device using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Enlarge image button
Step 4 – When the app selection pop-up window appears, tap Smart Switch → START.
Step 5 – Your device will recognize the previous device and a list of data you can transfer will appear.
Step 6 – Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer data from the previous device.
- Do not disconnect the USB cable or USB connector from the device when you are transferring files. Doing so may cause data loss or device damage.
- Transferring data with the USB connector increases the battery power consumption. Ensure that the battery is fully charged before transferring data. If the battery power is low, data transfer may be interrupted.
Transferring data wirelessly
Transfer data from your previous device to your device.
Step 1 – On the previous device, download and install Smart Switch from Galaxy Apps or Play Store. Then, launch Smart Switch.
Step 2 – Place the devices near each other.
Step 3 – On your device, open the Apps screen and tap Settings → Backup and reset → Open Smart Switch.
Step 4 – On your device, select the previous device type from the list and tap START.
Step 5 – Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer data from your previous device.
Transferring backup data from a computer
Back up data from your previous device to a computer and import the data to your device.
Step 1 – On the computer, visit www.samsung.com/smartswitch to download Smart Switch.
Step 2 – On the computer, launch Smart Switch.
- If your previous device is not a Samsung device, back up data to a computer using a program provided by the device’s manufacturer. Then, skip to the fifth step.
Step 3 – Connect your previous device to the computer using the USB cable.
Step 4 – On the computer, follow the on-screen instructions to back up data from the device. Then, disconnect your previous device from the computer.
Step 5 – Connect your device to the computer using the USB cable.
Step 6 – On the computer, follow the on-screen instructions to transfer data to your device.
That’s it! Hopefully you have successfully copied all of your crucial data and media to your new Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge. If you encounter any issue, do let us know in the comments and we will respond to you.