TeamWin’s latest TWRP 3.0.2 custom recovery can now be installed on the LG G5 through this guide. The new G5 is LG’s take on a modular smartphone with accessories that do more than accompany or protect the phone. Nonetheless, module or no modules, the underlying software which is Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow definitely can perform better with tweaks and customizations that suit your needs. To make this possible, the first step is to install a custom recovery. The article below showcases the procedure you need to follow in order to install latest and greatest TWRP 3.0.2 on your LG G5. Our guide has a important pre-requisite and that is you should have already unlocked your bootloader if not then do read our full guide on unlocking LG G5 H850 bootloader. Also, once you do install TWRP 3.0.2 you can simply root your LG G5. You can now easily install TWRP Touch Recovery on LG G5 using our tutorial. Please note, you should unlock LG G5 bootloader first before proceeding.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the process of how to update LG G5 with TWRP custom Recovery. Please note, by doing so, you are voiding the warranty of your LG G5. Make sure you read through all of the tips given below and keep them in mind before actually performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data before doing any sort of modification. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
LG G5 TWRP Recovery Details:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.0.0, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the LG G5, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Root LG G5: How to Root LG G5 with SuperSU.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on LG G5.
- Try Lollipop on Computer: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of LG G5 custom ROMs, click here!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root LG G5, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
LG G5 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for LG G5 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to LG G5 X.
If you already have a custom recovery (TWRP, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
5. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of LG Phones.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and install TWRP Recovery on the LG G5.