Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware is now available to be flashed on Motorola’s newest Moto X Style (Pure Edition). Our tutorial listed below will guide you on how you can manually update your Moto X Style (Pure Edition) to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. As a part of three part series, Moto X Style serves as the sole flagship phone and also the best all around smartphone in Motorola’s lineup. The Pure Edition comes with an unlockable bootloader and focuses on allowing developers to use the hardware more openly. This also means you can easily manually flash the firmware easily. Our guide also serves as a tutorial for people who are stuck on a bootloop or want to return to stock after flashing a custom ROM. OTA (Over-the-air) update system will also cater this upgrade but that will take time and more patience from your end. The following article allows you to immediately install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Moto X Style (Pure Edition).
If this is your very first time installing an Update, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of installing Android 6.0 Marshmallow official firmware, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a Moto X Style (Pure Edition) user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom updates and firmware, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update Details:
This amazing Android 6.0 Marshmallow update comes with tons of new features. A quick list of the main features in Android 6.0 Marshmallow is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Moto X Style (Pure Edition):
- Model: XT1575
- Model Name: Moto X Style (Pure Edition)
- Android Version: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Region: Retail US
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Moto X Style (Pure Edition), but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom Updates: For a complete collection of OnePlus 2 custom Updates, click here!
Like this official firmware based on the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Moto X Style (Pure Edition) USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus 2 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom Update, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom Update, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or SHARE with others so they can also benefit from these tips!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Moto X Style (Pure Edition) to Android 6.0 Marshmallow official firmware.
TUTORIAL: How to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow Official Firmware on Moto X Style (Pure Edition)
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow official firmware on Moto X Style (Pure Edition). If you are used to installing official updates on your phone, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Moto X Style (Pure Edition) XT1572. Please do not try on any other Two variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed and should be rooted (optional) from before.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
- Good luck!
NOTE: Installing Android N NPC91K Developer Preview 2 factory image will WIPE / DELETE / ERASE everything from your phone even if your bootloader is still locked or already unlocked. Please make sure you have a backup of all the data. Read: How to Backup Android Apps and Other Data.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Moto X Style (Pure Edition) from the following links for your model. You can check your Model Number by going to Settings > About Phone.
Step 2 – Please make sure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 3 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 4 – Get into the Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on your phone. Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons till you see the Fastboot menu and START on top. Connect your phone to your PC now.
Step 5 – Now extract the downloaded file anywhere in your computer. Go to the folder you extracted and then copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory. While the folder with the ota.zip file is open, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
Note: If you followed our tutorial on setting up Fastboot on your computer, there is a 99% chance your Fastboot directory will be the platform-tools folder in your Android SDK directory.
Step 6 – Open a command window in the same fastboot folder. Do so by holding SHIFT button on your computer and right-clicking on your mouse. Select “Open Command Window Here…” from the following menu.
Step 7 – To make sure your device is connected, use the following command. If it returns a value, this means your phone is connected.
Step 7 – Now you have to write and execute each command below individually. If you get an error, try replacing mfastboot with fastboot.
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin mfastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img mfastboot flash logo logo.bin mfastboot flash boot boot.img mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6 mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7 mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin mfastboot erase modemst1 mfastboot erase modemst2 mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn mfastboot erase cache mfastboot erase userdata mfastboot reboot
Step 9 – The last command will automatically reboot your phone!
That’s it! Your Moto X Style (Pure Edition) should now have the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware update installed on your phone using! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!