Huawei Nexus 6P can now be installed with CyanogenMod’s latest CM13 Nightly Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM. The new Nexus line of devices is just getting support from CyanogenMod, in fact, there are only 4 builds out for the Huawei Nexus 6P. For those new to the Android ecosystem and CyanogenMod as well, CM13 Nightly is a custom ROM project based truly on Android’s original source code. Unlike other custom ROMs, CM13 relies on a singular experience over all of its supported devices. The environment CM13 aims to provide is a similar one but with added features. The interface truly remains the same but with CM13 Nightly you would be able to customize even more things like the Notification centre, boot animations, launchers and much more. The Nightly in the name justifies that CyanogenMod will publish newer builds each day with bug fixes and even sometimes, new features as well. If interested in Android 6.0.1 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. Official firmware has it’s own reliability but we recommend you give CM13 Nightly a try as you can always revert back to stock. This is clearly one of the advantages of rooting your Android phone (read: Benefits of Rooting an Android Device). You can update Nexus 6P to Android 6.0.1 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by Huawei/Google, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like TWRP and your phone to be rooted in order to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 6.0.1 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow ROM on Nexus 6P with complete steps and instructions. We also have a set of important tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. Don’t forget to backup your phone as you will have to wipe all your data during the installation process. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 6.0.1 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow ROM Details:
For those who are new to CyanogenMod, please read the following:
CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.
Here is a quick note for those who are going to install this release of CM13 for the very first time:
NOTE: Since this is not a final build, make sure you know that after installing this firmware update, your Android device can get FC errors, boot loops, several other bugs, apps might not work or worse, your phone might not boot. To fix, you will have to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
Remember, this is not an official firmware update. This is a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
We haven’t really found any major issues or apps that do not work with this Android 6.0.1 CM13 custom firmware.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei Nexus 6P, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow: How to Install Android 6.0.1 MMB29P on Nexus 6P Marshmallow Factory Image.
- Root Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow: Root Nexus 6P on Android 6.0.1 MMB29P Marshmallow Factory Image.
- Android 6.0.1 Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Nexus 6P custom ROMs, click here!
Like this CM13 Nightly ROM based on the latest Android 6.0.1? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Huawei Nexus 6P USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Huawei Nexus 6P properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Nexus backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus 6P to Android 6.0.1 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow custom firmware.