Official CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow Nightly builds are now available for the OnePlus One. The stability of these builds is still questionable but at least you will be getting the full Android 6.0 Marshmallow experience along with all the new CyanogenMod 13 features. Google Apps addon has to be installed with this ROM to get all the basic Google apps and avoid any force closes. CM13 has been visually tweaked and is quite different to older CM releases, it also brings an updated Theme Engine extending the customization you can apply to your phone. Moreover, OnePlus One hasn’t yet officially got the Marshmallow update so this custom ROM serves as a good base for letting you experience Android 6.0 Marshmallow. As we mentioned, this build will come with some bugs so be patient as developers continue to work on this project and try to perfect it each day. You can easily update your OnePlus One to Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow using our complete tutorial written below. If you are coming from official CM12 or CM12.1, you don’t need to wipe your device before installation. A custom recovery will be needed to install Android 6.0 based CM13 Nightly ROM zip and Google Apps zip files, since this is not an official OnePlus firmware update.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of CM13 Nightly ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 6.0 Marshmallow based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a OnePlus One user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow ROM Details:
For those who are new to CyanogenMod, please read the following:
CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.
Here is a quick note for those who are going to install this release of CM13 for the very first time:
NOTE: Since this is not a final build, make sure you know that after installing this firmware update, your Android device can get FC errors, boot loops, several other bugs, apps might not work or worse, your phone might not boot. To fix, you will have to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
Remember, this is not an official firmware update. This is a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus One, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install CM12S: How to Install Cyanogen OS 12 on OnePlus One with Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Install OxygenOS: How to Install OxygenOS on OnePlus One Android Phone.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus One custom ROMs, click here!
Like this CM13 Nightly ROM based on the latest Android 6.0? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
OnePlus One USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus One properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Marshmallow.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or SHARE with others so they can also benefit from these tips!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update OnePlus One to Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow custom firmware.
TUTORIAL: How to Install Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow on OnePlus One
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow custom firmware on OnePlus One. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your One, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly ROM on OnePlus One. Please do not try on any other One variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed and should be rooted (optional) from before.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
- If at any point you get stuck, remember to press and hold the Power button for your phone to force restart.
- Good luck!
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your One USB memory to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded Android 6.0 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your phone memory / SD card. Make sure the file is in the phone memory / SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the ClockworkMod Recovery may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in ClockworkMod Recovery, select perform a full data wipe by selecting “wipe data/factory reset” as shown below. Use the Power button to select everything while in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 – Then, perform a cache wipe by selecting “wipe cache partition” as you can see in the image below.
Step 8 – Now this is optional, but it is recommended to perform a wipe of your dalvik cache as well. You will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to ‘advanced’ and then select “wipe dalvik cache”.
Step 9 – Then go back to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card”.
Step 10 – Now select “choose zip from sdcard”. Using your volume keys, navigate to the Android 6.0 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Google Apps: Repeat the above step for the Google Apps zip file as well and install it on your phone.
Step 11 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back+++++” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu as show below.
Your One will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your OnePlus One should now have Android 6.0 CM13 Nightly Marshmallow custom ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.