An official early build of CM13 is now available for the OnePlus One, that brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow to this phone, much earlier than the scheduled official release of Cyanogen OS 13. CM13 brings several new features, and all that comes with Android 6.0. OnePlus One previously received an early alpha release of Cyanogen 13, but with the official releases you can expect a decent stable build now for this phone. Please note, CM13 with Marshmallow is still in its early days and will take time to get mature enough — but its a good start that we are getting OnePlus One support from day one. And with that, you will be able to update OnePlus One to Android 6.0 CM13 Marshmallow using this complete tutorial. Not necessary, but it would be better if your phone is rooted and has a custom recovery installed. A custom recovery will be needed to install Android 6.0 based CM13 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files, since this is not an official OnePlus firmware update.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of CM13 ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 6.0 Marshmallow based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a OnePlus One user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 6.0 CM13 Marshmallow ROM Details:
This amazing CM13 custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. A quick list of the main features in CM13 is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your OnePlus One:
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- New animations
- Bug fixes
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus One, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Cyanogen OS 12: How to Update OnePlus One to Cyanogen OS 12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Software Update.
- Install OxygenOS: Update OnePlus One to OxygenOS Lollipop Official ROM.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Try and Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus One custom ROMs, click here!
Like this CM13 ROM based on the latest Android 6.0? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
OnePlus One USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus One properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup Android ROM. How? –> How to Backup Android ROM with Nandroid / Recovery.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or SHARE with others so they can also benefit from these tips!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update OnePlus One to Android 6.0 CM13 Marshmallow custom firmware.