Huawei Nexus 6P now has a official TWRP custom recovery package that can be installed without much hassle. TWRP 126.96.36.199 custom recovery brings all the goodies you find on other Android devices to the Nexus 6P. After installing TWRP, you would be able to flash custom zip files including custom ROMs and also utilize the built-in features such as backup straight from the recovery. The only thing you should do before reading this tutorial is make sure you have your bootloader unlocked. If you haven’t already done it, please read our detailed guide on unlocking Huawei Nexus 6P bootloader. Once unlocked, you can proceed next with flashing TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to install TWRP 188.8.131.52 Recovery on Nexus 6P with complete steps. Why do we even need a custom recovery? To install all the awesome custom ROMs, themes, tons of mods and flashing official firmware updates. You will also be able to root Nexus 6P once you install a custom recovery. Read our list of the essential root apps available! Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
TWRP Recovery 184.108.40.206 for Nexus 6P – Details:
Here is a little about the TWRP Recovery as per the official website:
Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
And for those looking for a list of features included in TWRP Recovery, here is a list:
- Ability to save custom recovery settings
- Default partitions to back up
- Default zip folder location
- Default color theme (lots to choose from) (Thanks to folkes!)
- Default Time Zone (for more accurate time stamps)
- Zip Signature Verification
- Zip md5 Verification (looks for file with zipname.zip.md5)
- Ability to flash multiple zips in one go
- Ability to select which individual partitions to backup, and restore.
- Ability to choose compression or no compression backups.
- Compression takes longer of course, but you save roughly half the space. EVO3D’s stock system uncompressed is ~800mb, 380mb compressed. You choose.
- Ability to auto restore GAPPS on zip flash (for CM based ROMS)
- Ability to auto reboot after successful flashes (for the lazy)
- Some devices utilize their capacitive buttons in recovery.
- Home – Main Menu
- Menu – Advanced Menu
- Back – Up a Menu Level
- Search – Select Current Selection
- Battery Level and Timestamp
We have already written and posted tutorials for flashing/installing ClockworkMod Recovery on Nexus devices, but for those who love TWRP, we now have complete guides for that as well now. Follow the install twrp tag for more tutorials and guides.
NOTE: All the instructions needed for installing TWRP 220.127.116.11 on Nexus 6P are given on the next page. In case you have problems connecting your phone with the computer (Windows or Mac), make sure USB drivers are properly installed and read the tips below.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei Nexus 6P, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 6P.
- Try Marshmallow on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Nexus 6P, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Huawei Nexus 6P USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Huawei Nexus 6P properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Marshmallow.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P with the given step-by-step tutorial.
HOW TO: Install TWRP 18.104.22.168 Recovery on Nexus 6P
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Huawei Nexus 6P. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Nexus / Google Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked Huawei Nexus 6P. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 6P.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. See: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download Fastboot / ADB package from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
Step 2 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 3 – Connect your Nexus 6P to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 – Download TWRP (twrp-22.214.171.124-angler.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 5 – Now go into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on Nexus 6P. How? Press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.
Step 6 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.
Step 7 – Type in the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-126.96.36.199-angler.img
Step 8 – Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu using your volume keys and enter Recovery Mode.
That’s it! You should now be in the TWRP Recovery from where you can choose whatever function you want to perform.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!