TWRP 18.104.22.168 custom recovery is now available for Huawei’s latest flagship, Huawei Mate S. In order to get TWRP on your phone follow our simple guide. It contains all the steps, download links and screenshots that are required. TWRP is a custom recovery which offers robust and intuitive features. Custom recovery developers have now started focusing on the normal user hence not only is this recovery compatible with official OTAs but all of the key features of TWRP have been included like touch support. Once installed, we would recommend you check out custom ROMs currently available for this phone. Steps for running TWRP 22.214.171.124 on the Huawei Mate S are listed below, read carefully. Before you continue, it is essential that you have unlocked bootloader on Huawei Mate S (2015). Once you have done that, we can proceed next with the flashing of the TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
Some of the small bugs in the new Lollipop software update such as battery drainage can easily be fixed by performing a factor reset or wiping Dalvik cache of your Huawei Mate S. As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to install TWRP 126.96.36.199 Recovery on Huawei Mate S (2015) with complete steps. You will also be able to root Huawei Mate S (2015) with SuperSU once you install a custom recovery. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
TWRP 2.8 Recovery on Huawei Mate S (2015):
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 2.8, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Some of the key features of TWRP 2.8 Recovery are:
- Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
- XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
- Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
- Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
- Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
- Onscreen keyboard
- Decryption of /data
- Easy selection of internal/external storage
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Motorola Huawei Mate S (2015), but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Root Moto X (2015): How to Root Huawei Mate S 2014 on Android 5.0 Lollipop – Complete Guide.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Mate S (2015).
- TWRP for Moto G (2014): How to Update Moto G (2014) with TWRP Custom Recovery.
- Try Lollipop on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Root Apps: You should check out our list of essential root apps that you should install.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Huawei Mate S (2015), read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Motorola Huawei Mate S (2015) USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Motorola Huawei Mate S (2015) properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Mate S (2015) with the given step-by-step tutorial.
HOW TO: Install TWRP 188.8.131.52 Recovery on Huawei Mate S (2015)
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Motorola Huawei Mate S (2015). This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on Nexus / Google Play Edition phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked Motorola Huawei Mate S (2015). Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- You need to have working Fastboot / ADB on your computer. Download links are posted below.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? -> How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Mate S (2015).
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. See: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download Fastboot / ADB package from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
Step 2 – Turn OFF your phone.
Step 3 – Connect your Huawei Mate S (2015) to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 – Download TWRP (twrp-184.108.40.206-carrera.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 5 – Now go into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on Huawei Mate S (2015). How? Press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.
Step 6 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.
Step 7 – Type in the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-220.127.116.11-carrera.img
Step 8 – Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu using your volume keys and enter Recovery Mode.
That’s it! You should now be in the TWRP Recovery from where you can choose whatever function you want to perform.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!