Gain root on your new Moto X Style easily via flashing SuperSU. We have compiled this article to provide a single post which details all the steps one by one so you can follow along easily. New Android users should note that root is one of the key benefits of this mobile platform, it allows you to truly test the limits of your phone. When rooted, you can install root apps which allow system themes, overclocking and more. You should have TWRP installed and an unlocked bootloader before hand. You can use the guides linked to execute both these processes before actually rooting your phone. Root is confusing? read: Benefits of rooting an Android device. You can now easily root Moto X Style (2015) on Android 5.1 Lollipop official software version using our tutorial. Please note, you should unlock Moto X Style (2015) bootloader first before proceeding.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the process of how to root Android 5.1 on Moto X Style (2015) with all the instructions and files needed. Rooting will allow you to install root apps on your phone, i.e Titanium Backup. Read our list of the essential root apps available! Make sure you go through all the tips given below and keep them in mind before performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data. Let’s continue with the tutorial now!
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Moto X Style (2015) SuperSU Root Package Details:
SuperSU is one of our favourite rooting package as it comes with all the binaries needed to gain root access on your Moto X Style (2015) Android phone. Even the SuperSU app has more features than SuperUser. Other than this rooting tutorial, you might also want to install a custom recovery for installing custom ROMs on your phone.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Moto X Style (2015), but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X Style (2015).
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update Moto X Style (2015) with TWRP Recovery.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Moto X Style (2015) custom ROMs, click here!
Moto X Style (2015) USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Moto X Style (2015) properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note 3 backup data to Moto X Style (2015).
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
5. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Phones.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and root Moto X Style (2015) with the original/stock Android firmware.