You can easily unlock bootloader of the Huawei P8 with the steps given below in this tutorial. Unlike some brands which guide you through the whole process of unlocking the bootloader and even provide programs to do so, Huawei’s path is a bit tedious. You first need to contact Huawei to get the codes and then proceed with the manual coding yourself. However, we have compiled the whole process in to little and easy to perform chunks. Don’t worry, you can easily unlock your bootloader on the Huawei P8.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you on how to unlock Huawei P8 bootloader for installing custom ROMs, a custom recovery or doing anything nasty with your phone — most of all, you will be able to root Huawei P8 in order to enjoy the various root apps. Just to be clear, unlocking bootloader will wipe ALL your data form the phone. So make sure you backup everything or unlock bootloader on a new device with nothing to lose.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei P8, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- ClockworkMod Recovery: How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Huawei P8.
- Factory Reset: How to Factory Reset Huawei P8 – Complete Guide.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
Huawei P8 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Huawei P8 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
5. [IMPORTANT] Copy all the backup files from your SD card to your computer as internal memory will be wiped clean while unlocking the bootloader.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
If you are a developer and would want to unlock the bootloader, we recommend doing that before you set up the Google Play Store, install apps or anything because the security feature in Android clears out everything from your phone when unlocking bootloader of a phone.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock Huawei P8 bootloader.
How to Unlock Huawei P8 Bootloader
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader on Huawei P8. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on any previous Nexus devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This unlocking bootloader tutorial is only for Huawei P8. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial has been performed on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as it will erase all data.
- You will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader.
- Huawei P8
- USB cable
- Android SDK with drivers (How to set up? Tutorial link given below)
Step 1 – You need to first write an email to Huawei in order to get the specific unlock code for your Huawei P8. The email should include your device’s Serial Number, IMEI and Product ID.
- How To Find IMEI:
Go to Settings, then click on About Phone and then on Status.
- How To Find Serial Number (SN):
Go to Settings, then click on About Phone and then on Status.
- How To Find Product ID:
Enter *#*#1357946#*#* into the dialer to view your Product ID.
The email should be phrased something like below. Don’t forget to mention all the critical details such as your IMEI. Send it to email@example.com
I’d like to request a bootloader unlock code for my Huawei device.
Product: HUAWEI GRA-L09
Product ID: XXX
Step 2 – Once you receive a reply from Huawei, download Android SDK / Fastboot and install all the USB drivers. How to set up? Read detailed instructions here: How to Set Up ADB / Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step 3 – Enable USB Debugging mode on your Huawei P8.
Step 4 – If you already have Android SDK, then you can just download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Step 5 – Make sure you have backup your data as it will be erased. Then switch OFF your Huawei P8 phone.
Step 6 – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on Huawei P8. How? Press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is the Bootloader Mode which allows Fastboot to communicate with your phone.
Step 7 – Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 8 – Type in the following command and press Enter. (Replace CODE with the one you received from Huawei)
fastboot oem unlock CODE
Step 9 – Now follow the on-screen instructions on your phone to confirm the bootloader unlocking and erase all the data, then proceed.
Step 10 – In the end, your Huawei P8 will now reboot itself. Or you can always reboot your phone with the following command if not rebooted automatically.
That’s it! Your Huawei P8 bootloader is now unlocked! You can now install a custom recovery, a custom ROM or any system tweak you like. Just be careful with what you do! 😉