Now that you have updated your phone to the latest Android M, here is how you can root Nexus 5 on this developer preview. This new Android M MPZ44Q was just announced over at Google I/O 2015, and now has been released for a few nexus devices for developers to try out the new APIs. We already have a complete tutorial on how to install Android M MPZ44Q on Nexus 5 here: Update Nexus 5 to Android M Developer Preview. You can easily root Nexus 5 on Android M MPZ44Q Developer Preview using the tutorial below. You will need to have an unlocked bootloader first, or this tutorial will wipe off all your data. Don’t worry, we have everything covered in the detailed steps below – even a tutorial on how to install ClockworkMod 6 Recovery. Why should you root? Read: Benefits of rooting an Android device.
As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to root Android M MPZ44Q on Nexus 5 with complete steps and how to flash ClockworkMod recovery on your phone. We will use ClockworkMod recovery as our custom recovery and SuperSU as our rooting package. For more details, continue reading. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Root Nexus 5 Android M MPZ44Q Details:
Android M Developer Preview is now available for select Google Nexus devices. You can download the official developer preview images for your phone and explore around what new has Google included in this upcoming Android update. Android M has a build number of MPZ44Q and is available for the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player. Google seems to have decided to drop support for some of their older Nexus hardware.
Meanwhile, you should also check out the following articles:
- Install Android M: How to Update Nexus 5 to Android M MPZ44Q Developer Preview Factory Image.
- Root Apps: You should check out our list of essential root apps that you should install.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For the complete collection of Lollipop based ROMs for the Nexus 5, visit our Custom ROMs page.
The method to root Nexus 5 Android M has been explained with instructions on the next page. In case you have problems connecting your phone with the computer, make sure USB drivers are properly installed and read the tips below.
LG Nexus 5 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for LG Nexus 5 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and Developer Preview.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend not to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now go to the next page and root Android M MPZ44Q on Nexus 5 + install ClokworkMod recovery with the given step-by-step tutorial.