OxygenOS is now finally available for the OnePlus One, bringing the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop to this phone. After several delays, the team behind OxygenOS finally pulled off the wraps from the OnePlus’ own operating system. This ROM is the pure Android experience that has been optimized for the OnePlus One. Battery life? Features? We’ll get to that in a bit. OxygenOS will have to be installed manually. If you have been waiting for a Lollipop update over-the-air (OTA), then you might have to wait for a few more days before CM12S is released. Alternatively, you can install the latest Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly ROM. And with that, you will be able to update OnePlus One to Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop using this complete tutorial. You will need to have a custom recovery e.g. TWRP installed on your OnePlus One. A custom recovery will be needed to install Android 5.0.2 based OxygenOS ROM zip file, since this is how the OnePlus team has launched this official Lollipop ROM.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of OxygenOS ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 5.0.2 Lollipop based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a OnePlus One user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop ROM Details:
This amazing OxygenOS custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. A quick list of the main features in OxygenOS is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your OnePlus One:
- Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Gestures, just like the CM11S version.
- Customization features
- Quick settings toggles
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus One, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install CM12S: How to Install Cyanogen OS 12 on OnePlus One with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
- Install Lollipop: How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus One custom ROMs, click here!
Like this OxygenOS ROM based on the latest Android 5.0.2? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
OnePlus One USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus One properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or SHARE with others so they can also benefit from these tips!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update OnePlus One to Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop custom firmware.
TUTORIAL: How to Install Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop on OnePlus One
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop custom firmware on OnePlus One. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your One, then this should not be any different for you.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please do that first and then get back to this tutorial. And before you proceed below, make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- This tutorial is only for installing Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS ROM on OnePlus One. Please do not try on any other One variants.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed and should be rooted (optional) from before.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
- Good luck!
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS ROM for One to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your One USB memory to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded OxygenOS ROM zip file to your phone memory / SD card. Make sure the file is in the phone memory / SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in TWRP Recovery, perform a full data wipe by tapping on the ‘Wipe’ button. Then swipe on the “Swipe to Factory Reset” option at the bottom.
Step 8 – Confirm installation on the next screen by swiping on the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option. The installation procedure should start now as show below.
Your One will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your OnePlus One should now have Android 5.0.2 OxygenOS Lollipop official custom ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.