OnePlus One can be updated with the latest Android 5.0.2 based CM12 custom ROM. This brings the latest Lollipop update along with tons and tons of under-the-hood features for your OnePlus phone. Currently, all OnePlus One users are on the KitKat based firmware update, but the latest nightly builds by the CyanogenMod 12 team were released a couple of days back. You will come across several bugs and glitches, but that is what the “nightly builds” are for. And with that, you will be able to update OnePlus One to Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly Lollipop using this complete tutorial. Not necessary, but it would be better if your phone is rooted and has a custom recovery installed. A custom recovery will be needed to install Android 5.0.2 based CM12 Nightly ROM zip and Google Apps zip files, since this is not an official OnePlus firmware update.
If this is your very first time installing a custom ROM, we understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of CM12 Nightly ROM, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this Android 5.0.2 Lollipop based custom ROM, your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone. As a OnePlus One user, you have several options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly Lollipop ROM Details:
For those who are new to CyanogenMod, please read the following:
CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.
Here is a quick note for those who are going to install this release of CM12 for the very first time:
NOTE: Since this is not a final build, make sure you know that after installing this firmware update, your Android device can get FC errors, boot loops, several other bugs, apps might not work or worse, your phone might not boot. To fix, you will have to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
Remember, this is not an official firmware update. This is a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
UPDATE: OxygenOS with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is now available for OnePlus One. Download here!
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the OnePlus One, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Try Lollipop on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of OnePlus One custom ROMs, click here!
Like this CM12 Nightly ROM based on the latest Android 5.0.2? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
OnePlus One USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for OnePlus One properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. It is easier and faster to restore your phone through a custom recovery.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model. And also make sure you have an unlocked bootloader (except Samsung).
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or SHARE with others so they can also benefit from these tips!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update OnePlus One to Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly Lollipop custom firmware.