Samsung Galaxy Nexus can now be updated to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop software update, thanks to an AOSP based custom ROM. We’ve seen that Google recently stared rolling out an update for their latest mobile OS Lollipop. It’s available for only a limited number of Android devices as of yet, but thanks to amazing development and open source license of Android, its now available to Galaxy Nexus I9250 too. Yes you can now install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on I9250 if you have one and the most awesome thing about AOSP is that its very close to the factory images of the OS. This custom firmware doesn’t even included a pre-rooted ROM so that you can experience the stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. Its very stable and can be used as a daily driver for your device. If interested in Android 5.0.1 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. Stock and official firmware are always good, but custom ROMs make them better with new features and lots of system tweaks that are not otherwise possible. This is clearly one of the advantages of rooting your Android phone (read: Benefits of Rooting an Android Device). You can update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to AOSP Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by Samsung/Google, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod in order to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install AOSP Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250 with complete steps and instructions. We also have a set of important tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. Don’t forget to backup your phone as you will have to wipe all your data during the installation process. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
AOSP Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM Details:
This amazing AOSP custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. A quick list of the main features in AOSP is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Latest Android 5.0.1 Lollipop.
- Very stable.
- Close to stock factory images.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Try Lollipop on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Install Android 4.3: How to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.3 JWR66V OTA.
- Root Android 4.3: Root Galaxy Nexus I9250 Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean and Install CWM Recovery.
- Android 5.0 Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Galaxy Nexus I9250 custom ROMs, click here!
Like this AOSP ROM based on the latest Android 5.0.1? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy Nexus properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Nexus backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to AOSP Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom firmware.