XXUGNJ2 Android 4.3 firmware update now becomes the most recent official firmware from Samsung to be installed on the Galaxy S3 I9300. Maintenance builds like these have kept this old phone running smoothly. Based on Jelly Bean, nothing major will change on the outside but you would notice a performance boost and enhanced battery. This flagship has been declined the right to be updated to greater Android versions than 4.3 Jelly Bean which leaves custom ROMs as the only option. However, this will be remain as the benchmark software for reliability and security which custom ROMs don’t guarantee. XXUGNJ2 Android 4.3 firmware has been made available on Samsung KIES and OTA (Over-the-air) update. Not all regions can access it right now. Which brings us to the exact motive of this tutorial, providing a method to update to XXUGNJ2 Android 4.3 irrespective of the locality and also root this firmware!
As we continue below, we will guide you through every step on how to install XXUGNJ2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300 using ODIN, which is the flash tool used in this and every Samsung mobile update guide, and also showing you how to backup your important data. Don’t forget to backup all your apps and personal data to assure safety. This firmware update has only released in Russia yet, but Samsung should be starting to roll out this update to other regions very soon. As with every update, older files get formatted including user data which means if you don’t create a back up of your files right now, there wont be a chance of recovering them after they are lost during the application of this update. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.3 XXUGNJ2 Firmware Details:
Model name: GALAXY S III
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:29:06 +0000
Product Code: PHN
Android 4.4.4 ROM: For those interested, you can now also install Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Read the tutorial here!
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for this phone, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- ClockworkMod Recovery: How to Install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on Galaxy S3 I9300.
- Try KitKat on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 custom ROMs, click here!
Previous Jelly Bean official firmware tutorials for Galaxy S III:
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to UBUGNG1 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to XXUGND2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to XXUGND1 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Samsung Galaxy S3 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.3 XXUGNJ2 official firmware update.